Wilgamu Rajamaha Viharaya is an ancient Tampita Viharaya built in 1240 by the Minister Devapathiraja, during the king Parakarambahu II of Dambadeniya Kingdom. Minister Devapathiraja is credited with contributing immensely towards the development of temples in the Southern Region.
Katudeniya Purana Viharaya lies in the Ukuwela PS in the District of Kandy. The origins of this temple is unknown but according to folklore this temple has been in existence during the period of Prince Wijayapala of Matale Godapola Nuwara.
Mampitiya Walawwa in Kandy is the ancestral House and a mansion of Mampitiya Nilame of Kandyan Kingdom which is now used as a bar and a hotel.
It is said that there were 18 Walawwa’s within the city of Kandy during the period of last king, Sri Wickrama Rajasinhe ((1798-1815). Dunuwila Walawwa (දුනුවිල වලව්ව) – Currently used as the Kandy Town hall. Gone through major modifications Ehelapola…
Ehelepola Walawwa in Kandy is the ancestral House and a mansion of Ehelapola Maha Nilame (1773 – 1829) of the Kandyan Kingdom which is now used as part of the Bogambara Prison
The walawwa (mansion) of Ehelapola Maha Adikaram used as the official residence when he was sent to Ratnapura to collect taxes has been now converted in to a museum and is now known as the Ratnapura National Museum.
Bambaragala Rajamaha Viharaya is an ancient temple lying at a bottom of a large rock known as Bambaragala in the village of Waduwawa in Polgahawela. No evidence has been discovered on the origin of this temple. Some believe that the temple has been in existence since the Anuradhapura kingdom. The current temple is definitely of recent origin, of Kandyan Era.
Kandayaya Purana Pothgul Viharaya is one of the hundreds of ancient Buddhist temples in the Kurunegala District. Few drip ledge caves and granite ruins of an ancient temple complex can be seen at this temple today. A Sri Pathul Gala, an object of veneration before the development of Buddha statues is an indication that this temple’s beginning going back to the early Anuradhapura Era.
Viharegama Maliyadeva Rajamaha Viharaya lies about 16 kilometers away from the Dambadeniya. It is said that the Maliyadeva Thero who is considered the last Arhaths of Sri Lanka had been cremated at Viharegama and a stupa had been built at Viharegama depositing the ashes.
Ranagala (Renagala) has been a popular ancient cross road connecting Siriwardhanapura, Anuradhapura, Kurunegala and Kandy. One proof of the importance of this is the ancient Ambalama at Ranagala. This Ambalama lies on the edge of a large paddy field in Ranagala and about 500 meters before the popular Rangala Rajamaha Viharaya.
Ranagala Rajamaha Viharaya is a temple situated on a popular ancient cross road connecting Siriwardhanapura, Anuradhapura, Kurunegala and Kandy. Lying on rocky outcrop known as Viharagala, surround by paddy fields offering a fantastic view, the temple you see today is an modern one except for few remnants of the ancient past.
Koggala Kathaluwa Purana Viharaya has been built around 1820 and today houses the press used for the first buddhist publication in 1860. In addition the and a 200 year old octagonal image house with paintings with European influence and a unique Nawamuni Seya stupa could be found at this temple.
An ancient temple which has been declared as a protected archaeological site. To reach the temple, take the road along the Koggala Airport landing strip. An archaeological board on this road will direct you to this ancient temple.
The Tampita Viharaya is built on a wooden platform on six large granite stumps. A wooden ladder with 5 steps leads to the verandah of the vihara-ge. the walls of the inner chamber is adorned with clay figures of deities by the entrance.
A large temple complex now reduced to granite pillar stumps and foundations has been preserved at this temple. Number of such buildings and few artifacts of the by gone era can be seen at this temple.
The Sri Sumittaramaya temple Tampita Viharaya structure is laid on 20 massive granite pillars about 4 feet tall and the wall are pained on a layer of clay. Unfortunately it doesn’t have the original paintings of Kandyan era, murals in the structure seems to have been recently retouched.
According to legend, this Devalaya has colorful history going back to the Gampola Period (14th to 15th century). It is believed to be built on the place where the Queen Henakanda Biso Bandara resided during this era.
On the intersection of the Colombo Street and the Yatinuwara Veediya (B519) in the Kandy city lies the Giragama Walawwa, a mansion build in 1814 and considered as the oldest walawwa building within the Kandy.
In the small square known as Torrington Square (Also known as George R. De Silva Park), near the Kandy clock tower lies a World War I Memorial probably seen by many but not noticed. This 33 feet high granite monument with a cross at the top has been built by the British to commemorate the solders who died during the World War I in 1914.
Walking pass the car park of Dalada Maligawa towards the Natha Devalaya in Kandy, you will come across this beautifully crafted Coffee Planters Fountain reminiscent of the British architecture.
The Black Fort is the most ancient part of the Galle Fort which was built by the Portuguese. This fort was built in 1588 and was called “Santa Cruz”. After Galle was coneded to Dutch it was known as the “Black Fort” , ” Zwart Fort” or the “Zwart Bastian”.
Close to the turn off to the Madu Church, lies and old hanging bridge across the Malwathu Oya in the area of Kunchikulama. The bridge is over 100 meters along and held by two strong cables with wooden planks laid across.
The ruins of the Kaduruwela Fort belonging the pre christian era was discovered in 1979 and excavated in 2010. Based on the dating this is now believed to be the famed Vijithapura Fort.
The Katupilagolla ambalama lies in Ridigama in Kurunegala between Rambadagalla Viharaya and Ridi Viharaya. The building lies on a 3 way junction on the turn off to the Raddagoda and Delhena estates at Delwita.
The inscription has been made in the 13th century on the 5th year of the Queen Kalyaniwathi (1202-1208) of Polonnaruwa Kingdom. An Adhikari called Chudamani of Bandhalagoda region has repaired a breached sluice gate of the Batalagoda Reservoir and in addition built a second sluice.
Sagala Rajamaja Viharaya lies on a top of a massive rock called Sri Sagala Rajamaha Viharaya in the Ridigama area west of the popular Rambadagalla Viharaya. The whole rock called Nelligala is believed to have been massive Aramaic complex since the 1st century BC.
Halambagala Rajamaha Viharaya is an ancient cave temple on the Nikaweratiya – Abanpola route in Kurunegala. The the main image house of the temple lies in a large drip ledge cave. Number of other drip ledge caves can be found scattered around the premises.
The Tampita Viharaya of the Hulugalla temple is a wooden structure built on 16 granite pillars. A wooden stair takes you up to a ornate wooden door. An ancient Buddha statue with murals on the walls are weatherworn.
Kudabellankadawala Kuda Gal Viharaya is an ancient monastic complex located off Thambuththegama on the Anuradhapura – Padeniya Road. The turn off the temple lies 19 km from Anuradhapura and 63 kms from the Padeniya Junction.
Serupitiya is a small agricultural village lying in Dehiattakandiya. Archaeological ruins in side the Sri Chandimarama Purana Viharaya in Seupitiya has been declared as protected archaeological site in 2014.
Pollebedda is a remote village in Mahaoya found on the way to Rambakan Oya Reservoir, home to one of the few surviving tribes of Aborigines (Vedda’s). All the Vedda tribes believe that they decent from the lineage of Queen Kuveni of Yaksha tribe who lived in Sri Lanka when prince Vijaya of India landed in the country in 5th century BC.
A site where ruins of ancient buildings close to the ‘Borupola Wewa’ in the village of Akuloba which has been declared as protected archaeological site
A hillock with ruins of an ancient stupa in Rajagama Sri Sambuddha Jayanthi Viharaya in Uhana has been declared as a protected archaeological site as per the gazette issued on 26th December 2014.
Nawagiriyawa Wewa Reservoir is one of the largest man made reservoirs in the Ampara District. Navagiriyawa wewa is unique in many ways. It is a cluster of 3 reservoirs connected each other creating a single large water body. At the top is the “Balagala Wewa” (Balagala Reservoir) and below it is the “Divulana Wewa” (Divulana Reservoir).
The ancient ruins at at Kohombana lies on a private paddy field and only a approx 4×4 meter area has been reserved for the few ruins of a ancient building marked by 4 Archaeology Dept. concrete stumps.
Weranketagoda lies between Uhana and Gonagolla on the Ampara – Mahaoya route about 15 km away from Ampara. The archaeological site of Weranketagoda consists of a ruins of ancient building with the floor laid with granite slabs. This ruined building lies on the vacant land right of the ” Mayadunne Govijana Sewa Madyasthanaya” (Mayadunne Agrarian Services Office) right next to the road.
An archaeological site in the middle of the Tissamaharama belonging to the Silapassa Pirivena, an aramic complex built by king Kavanthissa who ruled from Ruhunu Magampura in the 2nd century BC . belonging the Tissamaharama Rajamaha Viharaya Complex
A memorial for a Englishman called Henry John St. John who died at a hunting expedition in 1821 in front of the Assistant Governernment Agents Bungalow at Hambanthota has been declared as an archaeological monument.
The Akurugoda Pillar is about 30 feet in height and octagonal in shape. The brahami inscriptions is believed to be have been made round 2nd century BC.
A flight of steps carved on a rock at a gravel road running through a paddy field in the Galapitagala village in Uhana, Ampara has been declared as a protected archaeological site
Two locations with ruin of ancient granite pillars close to each other in the village of Bunteka in the Bakkiela area in Ampara has been identified and declared as a protected archaeological site in 2014.
A rock plain with signs of being an ancient quarry on the lake road near the Walathapitiya Reservoir has been declared as a protected archaeological site by the Government in 2014.
Two location at Thiruwaliwarpuram has been discovered to be consisting of archaeological evidence of an Buddhist civilization of the ancient Digamadulla kingdom.
In front of the Siva Kovil in the village of Palaveli in Walathapitiya lies a rock plain consisting of ancient letters and signs which has been declared as a protected archaeological site.
A site with stone pillars of an building belonging to the ancient Digamadulla kingdom on a paddy field in the catchment area of the ancient Alioluwa Reservoir belonging to the Ambamalthalawa village has been declared as a protected archaeological site in 2014.
Ambamalthalawa Archaeological Ruins lies about 450 meters north to the ruins on the catchment area of the Alioluwa Archaeological Site in the middle of a paddy field. The ruins consist of a rocky plain with steps cut in to the rock leading to the top.
These are two rock plains lying close by to each other in middle of a paddy field in the Akkarapattuwa (Akkaraipattu) with the first rock plain consisting of ruins of an ancient stupa and ruins of buildings and the other chisel marks.
Sri Suvisuddharamaya Viharaya in Moragahapallama is built upon an ancient temple complex which had been destroyed with time. This temple lies about 10 kilometers off the Inginiyagala Dam along the road on the left canal of Senanayake Samudraya.
Muwangala Rajamaha Viharaya lies on two rocky outcrops between Ampara and Hingurana. A new stupa has been built on one of the rocks. 250 steps cut in to the rock during ancient times takes you to the new stupa. Ruins of an ancient stupa and a watadage (stupa house) can be seen at the top of the rock.
Aloka Rajamaha Viharaya, with a ruined stupa and and other artifacts belonging to the ancient Digamadulla kingdom now declared as an protected archaeological site ies on the route to Ekgaloya Reservoir from Damana.