Deepa Uyana ( Island Garden) of Polonnaruwa Kingdom – දීප උයන

RATE THIS LOCATION :1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars Be the first to rate
Loading...
An Island with remains of a ancient building

An Island with remains of a ancient building

Have you ever wondered at what lies outside and to west of Parakramabahu’s walled palace enclosure extending to the shores of the Parakrama samudraya. What mysteries may lie buried underneath the forests of stone stumps of varying heights and grass mounds?

This area which is today called the Promontory, was amongst the many parks built by Parakramabahu (1153-1186) and Nissankamalla (1187-1196). Anciently it was referred to as the Dipuyyana in Pali meaning an Island Garden. The Chulavamsa mentions some of the constructions that graced this beautiful Island garden The Dhavalaghara was a white house made entirely of stucco, the Vidyamandapa was a pavilion built to illustrate the various branches of science, the Dolamandapa was a swing pavilion , the Kridamandapa was a sports pavilion, the Mayuramandapa was the peacock Pavilion, the Sanimandapa was the Pavilion of Saturn, and it was made out of Ivory, Adasamandapa was a Mirror Pavilion, . Srngaravimana of four storeys adorned with pictures . Anantapushkarani was pond of stone whose layers esembled the coils of the serpent king Ananta and Citrapuskarani or the picture pond adorned with pictures.

According to the above account the Deepa Uyana ( Island Garden) would have been like no other. A grand garden complex – maybe even grander that the Great Parakramabahu’s palace complex.

During the time of king Nissankamalla , an inscription reveals that Nissankamala renamed Deepa Uyana as ” Kalinga Uyana” And that he built his magnificent palace of seven stories (within forty five days) and his council chamber here. The inscription reveals that Nissankamalla, while seated on a stone here, watched dancing and listened to music.

Today the best preserved of the buildings found here is the council chamber of king Nissankamalla, positioned close to the Parakrama samudraya.. It is a rectangular structure of stone masonry on a raised platform in two tiers. It has two entrances. The main entrance is on the northern side while there is a small side entrance on the western side.

An Island used by the royals during the Pollonnaruwa Era

An Island used by the royals during the Pollonnaruwa Era

The base of the building shows reliefs of elephants and lions. Sadly these are fading.

Upon the platform are the remains of four rows of pillars, twelve in each row believed to have supported the roof, The most interesting feature of these stone pillars is that they carry short inscriptions indicating the position occupied and the ministerial responsibilities of the members of the Royal Council headed by the king who occupied the Lion throne. The seat beside the lion throne to the right was meant for the heir apparent, while eight of the inner rows of pillars are inscribed with inscriptions indicating the seats of other officers, viz, the Prime Minister, the Governor, The Commander in Chief, the Secretary, the Record Keepers, the Sheriffs and members of the Council of Commerce.

The imposing granite lion sculpture at the south end of the building and heading the rows of pillars is believed to have comprised part of the kings throne.

As such this structure affords an opportunity to understand how the Council of Ministers sat together with the king in taking important decision affecting the country..

by Kishanie S. Fernando
Daily Mirror, October 02, 2005

Also See

Map of Deepa Uyana ( Island Garden) – දීප උයන

.

The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites.

Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.


Driving Directions to Polonnaruwa Sacred City

Route from Colombo to Polonnaruwa Sacred City

Route from Kandy to Polonnaruwa Sacred City

Though : Ambepussa - Kurunegala - Dambulla
Distance from Colombo :220 km
Travel time : 4.5 hours
Driving directions : see on google map
Through : Matale - Dambulla - Habarana
Distance from Colombo : 145 km
Travel time : 3.0 hours
Driving Directions : see on google maps

Route from Anuradhapura to Polonnaruwa Sacred City

Route from Batticaloa to Polonnaruwa Sacred City

Though : Maradankadawala - Habarana Distance from colombo : 105 km
Travel time : 2 hours
Driving directions : see on google map
Though : Chenkaladi - Valachchena
Distance from colombo :100 km
Travel time : 1.5 hours
Driving directions : see on google map

© www.amazinglanka.com
Posted in Heritage, Polonnaruwa Tagged with: