Habanthota Lighthouse – හම්බන්තොට ප්‍රදීපාගාරය

RATE THIS LOCATION :1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (No Ratings Yet)
Loading...
Habanthota Lighthouse

Habanthota Lighthouse

The Habanthota Lighthouse was built in 1913 with a height of 14 metres. This is a round masonary tower with a lantern and a gallery.

The rocks which have been used to build this tower gives a the impression of a black and white spiral paint on the tower. Has been operational till 1970’s but currently in a dilapidated state.

There is a Martello tower adjoining the lighthouse. This has been built by the British around 1901-1903 and is the only such tower in the country. The builder was a Captain Goper, who built the tower on the site of an earlier Dutch earthen fort.

The tower was restored in 1999, and in the past, formed part of an office of the Hambantota Kachcheri where the Land Registry branch was housed. This tower is undergoing restoration again in 2013.

This abandoned lighthouse lies on the land in front of the Government Hambantota Resthouse Entrance.

Also See

Map of  Habanthota Lighthouse

.

The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites.

Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.


Travel Directions to Habanthota Lighthouse

Route from Hambathota (Main Bus Station) to Habanthota Lighthouse

Route from Kataragama to Habanthota Lighthouse

Through :
Distance : 500 m
Travel time : 5 minutes
Driving directions : see on google map
Through :
Distance :46 km
Travel time : 45 minutes
Driving directions : see on google map

© www.amazinglanka.com

Posted in Attractions Tagged with: ,