Bambaragala Rajamaha Viharaya is an ancient temple lying at a bottom of a large rock known as Bambaragala in the village of Waduwawa in Polgahawela. No evidence has been discovered on the origin of this temple. Some believe that the temple has been in existence since the Anuradhapura kingdom. The current temple is definitely of recent origin, of Kandyan Era.
Kandayaya Purana Pothgul Viharaya is one of the hundreds of ancient Buddhist temples in the Kurunegala District. Few drip ledge caves and granite ruins of an ancient temple complex can be seen at this temple today. A Sri Pathul Gala, an object of veneration before the development of Buddha statues is an indication that this temple’s beginning going back to the early Anuradhapura Era.
Viharegama Maliyadeva Rajamaha Viharaya lies about 16 kilometers away from the Dambadeniya. It is said that the Maliyadeva Thero who is considered the last Arhaths of Sri Lanka had been cremated at Viharegama and a stupa had been built at Viharegama depositing the ashes.
Ranagala Rajamaha Viharaya is a temple situated on a popular ancient cross road connecting Siriwardhanapura, Anuradhapura, Kurunegala and Kandy. Lying on rocky outcrop known as Viharagala, surround by paddy fields offering a fantastic view, the temple you see today is an modern one except for few remnants of the ancient past.
The Panavitiya ambalama has been dated to the 18th century. It is believed that the ambalama may have stood as a rest hall enroute to an ancient foot path leading from Dambadeniya to Kurunegala and Yapahuwa.
Konduruwapola Rajamaha has been built by Meegasthanne Adikaram during the reign of King Sri Wickrama Rajasinghe (1797 – 1814) as a tampita viharaya.
It was definitely going to be a rainy day. So with rain coats, umbrellas, and the like packed into our jeep we set out as usual before the light of day. The route we took was through Jaela, Ekala, Minuvangoda,…
According to the legend, Bihalpola Rajamaha Viharaya was constructed during the reign of King Devanmpiya Tissa (250-251 B.C.) and later renovated by King Walagamba 89-77 BC).