Number of sites where smelting of iron from ore has been carried out has been found in Digamadulla area. The most tell tale indications of smelting of iron are the deposits of slug, a glass like substance which is a by product of the smelting process.
Tempitiya Reservoir is credited to king Saddhatissa (137-119 BC) of Anuradhapura kingdom and said to have been restored by the British in 1838 making it one of the first ancient reservoirs to be restored by the British in the Ampara District.
Tempitiya Rajamaha Viharaya is built upon a ancient Buddhist temple going back to the times of king Saddhatissa (137-119 BC) of Anuradhapura kingdom who was the regional ruler of the Digamadulla Kingdom during the reign of king Dutugemunu.
Akuloba is a remote farming village close the newly built Rambaken Oya reservoir. Buddhist ruins of the ancient Digamadulla kingdom have been found on a hillock in Akuloba village.
The Weheragala rock in Bogamuyaya consist of ancient Buddhist ruins including a stupa, granite pillars and many other archaeological artifacts in Mahaoya. The ruins surrounding this hillock was declared as a protected archaeological site by the Government in 2014,
The hillock at Malgahaussa consist of ancient Buddhist ruins including a stupa and granite pillars and many other archaeological artifacts in the Pollebedda area in Mahaoya.
The hillock at Weeranthalawa consist of ancient Buddhist ruins including a stupa and granite pillars in the Tempitiya area in Mahaoya. The ruins surrounding this hillock was declared as a protected archaeological site by the Government in 2014.
Niyadawaragala is an rocky outcrop with ancient Buddhist ruins bordering Mundeni Aru in Mahaoya. The ruins surrounding this rock was declared as a protected archaeological site by the Government in 2014.
Sediments of stone tools of pre historic era have been discovered on a rocky plain called “Namaloya Pitiye Kella” in the area known as Ridi Ela (Rideela / Ridee Ela) in Dehiattakandiya. This area was declared as a protected archaeological site by the Government on the Gazette issued on 10th October 2014
Bakmeedeniya Purana Viharaya is an old temple in the Bakmeedeniya village in Dehiattakandiya. Archaeologists have discovered sediments of stone tools of pre historic era in the temple premises and this area was declared as a protected archaeological site by the Government
This temple is built on top of a ancient monastery with its ruins consisting of drip ledged caves with inscriptions and ruins of ancient buildings are still visible today.
The rocky outcrop known as “Pirith Kiyu Gala” (Pirithkiyu Gala) close to the Sri Jayasumanaramaya Viharaya in Hungamalagama consist of drip ledged caves with inscriptions, ruins of ancient buildings including parts of granite pillars and signs of crucibles.
A location where ancient sediments of pottery with brick layering in a paddy field bordering Kuda Oya in Sandamadula which was declared as a protected archaeological site in 2010.
Located at the foot of the Samanalathenna mountain range, ruins of ancient buildings, ponds and a stupa at the Samanalathenna Forest Hermitage in Dehiaththakandiya is believed to be belonging to the Polonnaruwa era (11th – 13th centuries).
Evidence of iron smelting in the ancient times in the agricultural village known as Thuwaragala in Dehiaththakandiya. The site at which remains of stone pillars and a site scattered with slag found in Thuwaragala was declared as a protected archaeological monument in 2014.
Ruins of part of a ancient Buddhist monastery lies in the area known as Ranhelagama Ellekotella village in Dehiaththakandiya. Stone pillars and ruins of an building can be found at this village on the borders of Mahaweli River.
Ruins of part of a ancient Buddhist monastery lies in the area known as Nawamedagama in Dehiaththakandiya. The whole area is now a large paddy field and only remains are few stone pillars in the middle
The ruins of the ancient Buddhist monastery which lies in the area known as Paranapansalwatta in Muwapetigewela was declared as a protected archaeological monument by the Gazette issued on 10th October 2014.
Kudagala is a rock formation in the Dehiattakandiya close to a another huge rocky outcrop which has some resemblance to Sigiriya. In 1968 Professor Senarath Paranavithana explored this site and recorded of walls adorned with frescoes similar to Sigiri Frescoes at this site.
The ruins of Henanigala Peranigama was declared as a protected archaeological monument by the Gazette issued on 10th October 2014, and describes the location of as follows ; “Peranigama Archaeology Site lies on rock with the evidence of pre historic…
The ruins identified as the “19th post ruins” on a regular archaeological board lies between Polonnaruwa and Kaduruwela, about 1.7 km from the Polonnaruwa clock tower.
Lying inside the inner city with the Palace Complex, passing the Royal Court of King Parakramabahu you can reach this Kumara Pokuna pond made out of stone slabs. This tank has been used during the period of King Parakramabahu ( 1153-1186).
Size 17,350 hectares Main attractions Birds, Elephants and other wildlife The Floodplains National Park was established in 1984 as one of the 4 National Parks established under the Mahaweli Project. It spans the Mahaweli Ganga in Polonnaruwa district in the North…
Size 37,062 hectares Main attractions Large herds of Elephants, spotted Deer, Sambhur, Barking deer and Langur, Wild Bow, Crocodiles, Water Buffalo, Peacocks and many migratory birds. The Wasgamuwa National Park lies within the Polonnaruwa and Matale Districts. Its eastern boundary is…
Size 37,645.5 hectares Main attractions Large herds of Elephants, Deer, Wild boar, Bear, Birds and Fish The Somawathi National Park is one of the four national parks set aside under the Mahaweli River development project. The other three national parks…
Situated 182 km from Colombo, Minneriya National Park is dominated by the Minneriya tank. This is another park where you will find the Elephants in large numbers.
Maduru Oya National Park is located 314km away from Colombo in the Dry zone and is well known for its elephant habitat.
Size 6,900 hectares Main attraction Large herds of Elephants, Deer, Sambur, Wild boar, Leoperdm Bear, Birds and Fish Situated about 190 km from Colombo, Kaudulla National Park is dominated by the Kaudulla Tank built by the sister of the famous…
Henanigala Raja Maha Viharaya ( sometimes referred as Senanigala Raja Maha Viharaya) is a temple complex believed to be one of the 64 temples built by King Kawanthissa in the 3rd Century BC. Due to the strategic location, the temple…
Can you tell us where the Pulligoda Galge is? We kept asking bystanders on reaching Dimbulagala 16 kilometres south east of Polonnaruwa. Nobody seemed to have heard of it before and that’s how we met Lionel Mendis a retired employee…
Five and a half kilometers south of Dimbulagala temple are the little known Pulligoda galge frescos. Crossing a delightful little lake named Hitcha Pitcha wewa, and circuiting the changing range-scape of Dimbulagala, an unsealed road leads you to this lonely…
Dimbulagala Namal Pokuna is an ancient armaic complex lying on a peaceful undisturbed rocky outcrop close to the Popular Dimbulagala Temple. Probably part of the same complex in the ancient times
Kandegama Kanda Lena Viharaya (Cave Temple) Ruins lies about 25-30 kilometers away from Dimbulagala on the road toward the Maduru Oya Reservoir. The road runs through a canopy of green trees south east from Dimbulagala passing through sleepy Mahaweli settlements.…
Giritale tank does not aspire to No. 1 and No. 2 nor (may be) to subsequent tanks, by way of the area covered, leaving those priority places to tanks as Minneriya tank and Parakrama Samudra but if one were to give it a priority place by way of fabled history that could turn out to be factual too, Giritale tank comes somewhere among the top.
About 12 miles to the east of the ancient kingdom Polonnaruwa on the east side of the Mahaweli is situated at the beautiful hilly range – Dimbulagala. In our ancient Pali texts this range is referred to as Udumbara –…
Pothgul Vehera of the ancient Polonnaruwa Kingdom is located some distance from the statue and thought to be a Buddhist library complex and a place where the Buddhist writings were studied and resided.
Alahana Privena Atadage Badda Sema Malakaya Dalada Maluwa Demala Maha Seya (Stupa of Tamils) Deepa Uyana Eastern Entrance to the Inner City Gal Viharaya (Rock Temple) Gal-potha (Stone Book) Gopala Pabbatha Hetadage Image of Boddhisathwa Kiri Vehera Kuda Gal Viharaya…
Posted in Polonnaruwa
Tagged with: polonnaruwa
This large devalaya, a place of worship for Hindus and Buddhists has been partially restored and has two main devalas for god Vishnu and god Shiva. Inside the devala you will see a Virgina and a “Shiva Linga” (penis of god Shiva) , both items of worship can bee seen.
This Devala identified as Vishnu Devala (number 4) and also known as Naipena Viharaya has been a place of worship for God Vishnu by the Hindus.
If you are looking for ancient art in Polonnaruwa I suggest you take a drive to the Tivanka Pilimage or the Tivanka Image house. or the Northern Temple of H.C.P.Bell.
Thivanka Pilimage was built by King Parakramabahu (1153-1186) and since the 8 meter tall image of Buddha has been curved in 3 places, this has been given the name “Thivanka” which literally means three curves.
The Nelum pokuna or the Lotus bath is a small stone bath of completely unique design, built in tiers of eight petalled lotuses in descending form.
Gal Viharaya of Polonnaruwa is a magnificent group of statues of Buddha carved in a rock built by king Parakramabahu (1153-1186) which was part of the Uthararama Complex.
This large stupa known as the Kiri Vehera of Polonnaruwa, lying north of Lankathilaka Pilima Ge is said to be built by a queen of king Parakramabahu (1153-1186) called “Subadra”.
Polonnaruwa Lankathilaka Image House is a monolithic Buddha image house built by king Parakramabahu (1153-1186) lying on the South of Kiri Vehera.
On the east to the Badda Sema Malakaya you can see a cave with a carved statue of Buddha. This known as the Kuda Gal Viharaya or the lesser rock temple.
The Baddhasima Malakaya, also known as the Buddha Seema Pasada, was built by Parakramabahu 1 (1153-1186) on the highest platform at the Alahena Pirivena.
Alahana Pirivena is the great monastic complex founded by Parakramabahu 1 (1153-1186), said to be built on a cremation ground, hence the name Alahana Pirivena.
Gopala Pabbatha in Polonnaruwa is a small cave monastery and also marks the southern boundary of Alahana Pirivena and lies on the north of Rankoth Vehera.
Rankoth Vehera (Goldern Pinnacle) Stupa, is the 4th largest stupa in the country after Ruwanveli Seya, Jetawanarama and Abhayagiriya in Anuradhapura. Built by King Nissanka Malla (1187-1196), it is 55 meters in height 185 meters in circumference. This is the largest Stupa in Polonnaruwa.