Mamaduwa Rajamaha Viharaya and Slab Inscription – මාමඩුව රජමහා විහාරය හා මාමඩුව සෙල් ලිපිය

RATE THIS LOCATION :1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (1 votes, average: 5.00 out of 5)
Loading...

Surrounded by Sinhalease villages such as Mahakachchakodiya, Etambagaskada and Agbopura and Tamil villages such as Vimangalla,  Mamaduwa is a small Sinhalease village located in north-east of Vavuniya in an area scattered with Buddhist Ruins. According the folklore prince Dutugemunu has gone across this area to Erupothana, the home town of one of his generals, Nandimithra after destroying the army of Elara. Hearing the arrival of the victorious prince, the villagers have built a massive shed (Maduwa) to celebrate the overthrowing of Elara by the prince. Thus this area where the “Maha Maduwa” was was built evolved in the “Mamaduwa” with time.

With the shifting of the capital to Polonnaruwa and and then further to south, all the villages and the massive reservoirs which fed the  paddy fields were abandoned for thousands of years. These Sinhalese villages reborn again in 1839 and Mamaduwa had a total population of 16 villagers by this time under the British rule but the dilapidated ancient Mamaduwa Reservoir was their main challenge to sustain their paddy fields.

The villagers successfully appealed to then Jaffna Governor to re-build the reservoir but the Tamils in the area had  vehemently opposed this plan. Despite the resistance by Tamils, rebuilding of this tank undertaken in 1881 under the guidance of Henry Parker.

The name Mamaduwa again came in the news in 1986 when the LTTE Tamil terrorist’s  first ever civilian bus bomb exploded near the Mamaduwa Cemetery on 22nd of July. The bus filled with school children and villagers driven by a Tamil driver brought death to 32 civilians out of which 30 were from Mamaduwa and Mahakachchakodiya.

The temple of Mamaduwa was also started as a small hut in 1881 close to the reservoir on an area with ancient Buddhist ruins for the villages to carryout their religious activities. After many years of effort of the villagers, a Buddhist priest was invited to this “Pahan Ge”in 1900 turning in to a Buddhist Temple. Today this temple has been developed to support the growing number of worshipers in the village.

The slab inscription of Mamaduwa was found buried on the reservoir bund during renovation. The inscription and pictures of a dog and a crow is carved on a 3½ feet high, 3 feet wide and 1½ feet thick slab which has broken in to two pieces. The inscriptions states that those who use the water from the reservoir for farming and dont carry our religious offering shall be reborn as dogs and cows.

This slab inscription has now been moved to the Vavuniya Museum for protection.

primary sources : අපේ වැව්නියාව – වව්නියා දිස්ත්‍රික්කයේ සිංහලයන්ගේ පුවත – කතෘ – එස්. පී. එස්. වීරසිංහ

Also See

Travel Directions to Mamaduwa Rajamaha Viharaya

Route from Vavuniya up to Mamaduwa Rajamaha Viharaya

Through : Agbopura
Distance : 11  km
Travel time : 30 mins
Driving directions : see on google map

Map of Mamaduwa Rajamaha Viharaya


Please click on the button below to load the Dynamic Google Map
.

.

The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites.

Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.


© www.amazinglanka.com
Posted in Heritage