The Daskara Galkona Ambalama, which is not so large, is about 10 feet long and wide. Ambalama is built on a small platform. On top of that, using square stone blocks, the walls are built to a height suitable for seating and 4 pillars are made of the same stone. Stone slabs are placed on top of the walls for seats.
Sagama inscription made on the 9th year of king Buwanekabahu V (1372-1408) is the first attestation of what was to become deity Natha’s intimate relationship to Sinhala up-country rule. By this time, Bhuvanekabahu V had succeeded Vikramabahu III at Gampola,
Gonawatta inscription is found at the temple near the Gonawatta Ferry where villagers crossed Mahaweli River is believed to belong to 2nd century BC. The ancient name of the place is Wisaltota, and the Wisal Nuwara has on the Dumbara side of Mahaweli River.
The historic Suduhumpola Rajamaha Viharaya temple has been built under the patronage of king Keerthi Sri Ranasinghe [1747 – 1781] in 1771 to accommodate the Buddhist monks who came outside of Kandy to participate in Upasampada Vinaya Karma and to facilitate worshiping of the sacred tooth relic of Buddha.
Walwasagoda Rajamaha Viharaya and its devalaya has been constructed by king Buwanekabahu IV (1341-1351) of Gampola Kingdom. The only remining features of historical importance of this temple is the Devalaya premises and the and stupa with the housing.
Sri Rama Viharaya is a rather unknown historic temple within the Kandy city limits on a hillock above the Trinity Collage tucked away in Udawattakele and is accessed by a foot path in Udawattakele. Another road leading to the temple is found from Sri Dalada Thapovanaya in Udawattakele Mawatha which passes through the road in front of the Kandy Municipal Council linked to a motorable gravel road.
Ruins of Ancient Sapumalgaskada Buddhist Monastery in Vavuniya – වවුනියාව සපුමල්ගස්කඩ ආරාම පුරාවිද්යා භූමිය
Sapumalgaskada is an ancient aramic complex now lying in middle of the virgin shrub jungle off Kalebogaswewa. According to legend, the tooth relic of Buddha was brought to Sri Lanka from the port of Lankapatuna in Trincomalee and the procession had traveled though Sapumalgaskada on its way to Anuradhapura.
Monaragala Rajamaha Viharaya (Mayuragiri Len Viharaya) is an ancient temple complex going back to pre christian era with about 70 caves spread on a rocky hill overlooking toe town of Monaragala.
Tampita Grain Storage Unit at Pallepola Sri Weluwanaramaya – පල්ලේපොල ශ්රී වේළුවනාරාමය ටැම්පිට ධාන්ය අටුව
Pallepola Sri Weluwanaramaya is situated at where the home of the National Hero Weera Keppetipola was located. The Tampita Grain Storage Unit which was part of the house hold over 200 years ago can still seen at this temple.
The twin falls of Jodu Ella Falls , also known as ‘Bambarella Knuckles falls’, have identical lengths (45m) and cascade simultaneously from both ends of the mountain into the Mahaweli River via the Hulu Ganga River.
Mabotuwana Sri Sumanarama Purana Wilgamu Tampita Viharaya – මාබොටුවන ශ්රී සුමනාරාම පුරාණ විල්ගමු ටැම්පිට විහාරය
Wilgamu Rajamaha Viharaya is an ancient Tampita Viharaya built in 1240 by the Minister Devapathiraja, during the king Parakarambahu II of Dambadeniya Kingdom. Minister Devapathiraja is credited with contributing immensely towards the development of temples in the Southern Region.
Katudeniya Purana Viharaya lies in the Ukuwela PS in the District of Kandy. The origins of this temple is unknown but according to folklore this temple has been in existence during the period of Prince Wijayapala of Matale Godapola Nuwara.
In the small square known as Torrington Square (Also known as George R. De Silva Park), near the Kandy clock tower lies a World War I Memorial probably seen by many but not noticed. This 33 feet high granite monument with a cross at the top has been built by the British to commemorate the solders who died during the World War I in 1914.
Walking pass the car park of Dalada Maligawa towards the Natha Devalaya in Kandy, you will come across this beautifully crafted Coffee Planters Fountain reminiscent of the British architecture.
This temple was built by king Kirthi Sri Rajasinhe (1746-1781). A gold plated Buddha statue made of sandalwood donated by the king can be still seen in the ancient image house
Formerly known as Pitakande Military Cemetery, the Kandy war cemetery maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission is considered one of the most beautifully landscaped and maintained war cemeteries in the world.