During the reign of Parakramabahu II (1236-1270), Padirata was ruled by a Tamil invader. During this period, a kovil has been built among the Buddhist buildings in Moragoda. The ruins of this Shiva temple and Shiva Linga can be seen even today. Vijayabahu II (1270-1272), who reigned after Parakramabahu II, regained control of Padirata.
Ruins of Puliyankulama Pubbarama Pabbata Viharaya in Anuradhapura (අනුරාධපුර පුලියන්කුලම පබ්බත විහාරය පුරාවිද්යා නටබුන්)
Puliyankulama (Puliyankulam) Pubbarama is an ancient Buddhist monastery made in the form of a pabbata vihara architecture lying on the outskirts of Anuradhapura on the Anuradhapura – Rambewa road (towards Jaffna),.
Ruins of the Pacina Tissa Pabbata Viharaya (Pachina Tissa Pabbata Viharaya) lies hidden from view beside the high level sluice of the Nuwarawewa Reservoir. Until recently this site was referred to as the Palace of Prince Saliya due to lack of understanding of the significance of these buildings.
Ampara Pulukunava Asanaghara, caves and ancient ruins lies at the boundary of the Galoya scheme on the Ampara – Mahiyangana road is on a large forested hill.
The Chitiya at the Menikdena is built on a raised platform is quite large. There is evidence that the Chithiya once had the four flowered alters and granite Buddha images facing the four cardinal directions.
It has been identified Toluvila as the place where the Great Mahinda Thero took shelter on their way from Chethiya Pabbatha to Maha Viharaya in the 3rd century BC. The Toluvila monastery belongs to the late Anuradhapura period (7-9th centuries).
Vijayarama is an ancient buddhist monastery lying on the outskirts of Anuradhapura close to the ancient stone bridge (Gal Palama). The complex spans 23 acres which has been declared as an archaeological site.
Lahugala Magul Maha Viharaya is said to be built by King Kavanthissa in the 2nd Century BC on the location where the King married the pricecess Vihara Maha Devi.
Kaludiya Pokuna in Kandalama is not to be confused with its name-sake in Mihinthale . It dates back to the period, 853 – 857 A.D., during the reign of King Sena the 2nd. The sacred precincts of this ancient site served as a meditating center for the Buddhist monks who resided there.
Vessagiriya is located few hundred meters left to the current Isurumuniya on the old Anuradhapura-Kurunegala road. This temple complex is located in and around 3 beautiful bolder formations spread across a large area in front of the Tissa Weva. On one these is a remains of a dagaba.
Asokaramaya is located in a beautiful surrounding in the village of Pankuliya. This is a fairly unknown site to the average pilgrim but has one of the best carved Buddha statues in the country today. This statute equals the quality of the famous Samadhi Statue and the Tholuvila statue (which is now kept in the Colombo museum).