The British built their first lighthouse in Trincomalee in the year 1845 on the flagstaff post of the old Trincomalee Fort (Fort Frederick). The lighthouse had one single light with 2 reflectors with an elliptical focus of 6 ½ inches. The lantern was 206 feet (52.8 meters) above the sea level and 10 feet (3 meters) from the foot of the lighthouse. The light was powered using coconut oil.
This Colombo lighthouse was used to mark the Colombo Port at night with one fixed light. The lighthouse was built on a wooden structure surrounding a 2 story high brick building on the flagstaff bastion of the Colombo Fort. The Bastian was located almost 120 yards (110 meters) away from the sea and was 12 yard (10.9 meters) above the sea level.
It is believed that due to its association with King Walagamba this place has been named Dambulla, locally better known as Kele Dambulla. It is also believed that this site has served as a security frontier during ancient times.
Pannipitiye Devram Vehera is a unique temple in many ways. The temple grounds are beautified by numerous types of flora, various stupas and other religious buildings, similar to those found in India. A relatively new temple, its foundation was laid in August 1999, and it was first established on an area of just 14 perches.
King Parakramabahu VI (1411-1463), built one of Sri Lanka’s greatest spiritual and historic monuments called the Sunethradevi Pirivena in honor of his mother and a secret consort
Dambora Ella Fall (10m in height) is created by a waterway of the Wakoya River and was formerly known as Demala Falls as the Tamil (Dravidian/Demala) labourers used to wash here. Dambora Falls is located near Labugama Reservoir in the village of Dambora (Hanwella Divisional Secretariat), Colombo District (Avissawela Electorate)
According the chronicles the Buddha visited the Kelaniya (where the Kelaniya Temple now lies) with 500 bhikkhus and preached dharma to King and his people on the spot where the temple stands today. From Kalaniya the Buddha proceeded to the domain of the Deity Sumana Saman at the mountain to of Samanthakuta now known as Sri Pada.
The Colombo harbour south breakwater lighthouse lighthouse was commissioned in 2013 with the opening of the south breakwater of the latest international terminal of the Colombo Port.
The Colombo Harbor Breakwater Northeast Lighthouse was commissioned in 1907 and is currently active. It has a focal plane of 13 m (43 ft) and has a continuous red light. This is a 10 m (33 ft) round concrete tower with lantern and gallery.
Colombo Harbor Breakwater North End Lighthouse is one of the six lighthouses in the Colombo Harbour. The lighthouse was commissioned in 1907 and is currently active. It has a focal plane of 13 m (43 ft) and flash green every 3 s. This is a 12 m (36 ft) round stone tower with lantern and gallery, painted in white.
The Colombo Harbor Southwest Breakwater Lighthouse lies at the end of the Southwestern Breakwater of the Colombo Harbour. This breakwater was completed in 1885 at cost of £705,000 using 300 convicts to load / unload rocks from a query at Mahara.
Colombo Harbor Pilot Station Lighthouse is one of the six lighthouses in the Colombo Harbour and was completed along with the breakwater in 1885.
The Colombo Harbor Breakwater South End Lighthouse is one of the six lighthouses in the Colombo Harbour and was built in 1905. This is a 12 m (36 ft) round stone tower with a lantern and gallery, painted white. This is an active lighthouse with a focal plane of 13 m (43 ft).
This Old Clock Tower Lighthouse is not operational any more, but functions as a clock tower and is designated as a monument. It is located at the junction of Chatham Street and Janadhipathi Mawatha (formally Queens road) in Colombo fort.
Colombo Galbokka Lighthouse in Sri Lanka is operated and maintained by the Sri Lanka Ports Authority. It is located at Galbokka Point south of the Colombo harbour on the waterfront along the marine drive, in Colombo fort.