The ruins of Mihintale Puvarasankulama Anula Devi Chethiya is spread across an area of approximately 4 acres centered around a rocky pleatu spreading from south to north. At this site you find ruins of a medium sized stupa, an rock inscription and ruins of other building including a rock pond.
The Refractory Hall (Alms Hall or Chatussala) has been built by king Devanampiya Tissa in the 3rd century BCE. This has been restored by Vasabha in in the the 3rd century CE. This building corresponds with the Alms hall found at Mihintale for it has the same architectural design found here.
Ruins of the Pacina Tissa Pabbata Viharaya (Pachina Tissa Pabbata Viharaya) lies hidden from view beside the high level sluice of the Nuwarawewa Reservoir. Until recently this site was referred to as the Palace of Prince Saliya due to lack of understanding of the significance of these buildings.
Buddhist Railing Site of Jethawanarama Monastery of Anuradhapura Kingdom (ජේතවන විහාරයේ ගල් ගරාදි වැට සහිත ස්ථානය)
Just 120 meters south of the Salapathala Maluwa of Jethawnaramaya, lies a structure known as Buddhist Railing which has been discussed and analysed by great many travellers and authors since the British discovered it in the 1800’s. This is a site enclosed by a large railing made completely of stone slabs and pillars.
The rock cave complex known as the ‘Digapashana Caves’ is also known as the ‘Sudassana Patanagharaya’ lies about 500 meters west to the Abhayagiri Stupa. There are 9 caves with drip ledges in this complex are now under excavation and restoration.
Padaviya Wewa (Tank) believed to be built during 2nd century BC or 3rd century, One of the largest tanks ever built during Anuradhapura Kingdom. Governor Sir Henry Ward (1797–1860) described it as the “most gigantic of all works” and estimated that “it construction must have occupied million people for 10-15 years”.
Thuparamaya is the first stupa to be built in the country after the introduction of Buddhism to Sri Lanka. Built in the time of king Devamnampiyatissa (250BC – 210BC) this was a stupa as well as an Aramic complex (monastery). Today ruins of this complex covers nearly 3 ½ acres
Perimiyankulama Gal Palama (Stone Bridge) over Malwathu Oya – Anuradhapura (අනුරාධපුර පෙරියන්කුලම මල්වතු ඔය ගල් පාලම)
he road leading to Gal Palama is located close to the Kuttam Pokuna (Twin Ponds). The two Gal Palama’s are laid across Malwathu Oya and Yoda Ela.
The massive Kala Wewa and Jaya Ganga irrigation scheme of King Dhatusena (459-477) with a 87km canal maintaining a laser precision 1:10,000 slope is considered one of the best engineered irrigation schemes of the ancient world.
Weragama Purana Tampita Rajamaha Viharaya and Gonamariyawa Ulpatha – වේරගම පුරාණ ටැම්පිට රජමහා විහාරය / ගෝනමැරියාව උල්පත
According to legend, Weragama Purana Tampita Viharaya (also know as Diya Bubule Pansala) has been built during the time of Mihindu Maha Rahath Thero and has been renovated by 4 kings of different eras.
Lying amidst rows of coconut groves close to the Nugawela junction on the Chilaw Wariyapola Road lies Kadawalagedara Sri Sugatharamaya Rajamaha Viharaya
Hiriwadunna Sri Bodhiraja Forest Hermitage is an ancient temple complex which came in to limelight few years ago when a controversial book claimed that Bodh Gaya was in fact at Hiriwadunna.
The best preserved ancient stone bridge in Sri Lanka is the Mahakanadarawa stone bridge, built over the Kanadarawa River in the ancient road between Anuradhapura and Gokanna (Trincomalee).
Basawakkulama Wewa (Abaya Wewa) – First Reservoir to be in the recorded history of Sri Lanka (බසවක්කුලම වැව)
Basawakkulama Wewa First Reservoir to be in the recorded history of Sri Lanka today carries 174 hectares of water at the surface even after 2500 years, the tank still continue to supply water to Anuradhapura.
Nuwara Wewa is the largest of the three man made reservoirs in Anuradhapura. Nuwara Wewa is believed to be built by King Vattagamini Abaya popularly known as King Valagamba in the first century BC.
Buit over 400 year ago, the Bulankulama Walawwa situated near the Bulankulama Wewa is considered the oldest house in use in Sri Lanka. This house has been taken over by the UDA to be converted in to a luxury boutique hotel.
Vijithapura Raja Maha Viharaya is believed to be built on the winning grounds of the last battle of King Dutugemunu against the Tamil Invader Elara.
One could only imagine what the Thanthirimale Rajamaha Viharaya (Thanthirimale Temple) had looked like nearly 2300 years ago but the peace and serenity still prevails.