Point Pedro Theru Moodi Madam (Ambalama) in Jaffna – යාපනය පේදුරු තුඩුව තේරු මෝදි අම්බලම
The Ambalama structure at Theru Moodi Madam is another little gem in Jaffna which very few even knows of its existence. Ambalam (madam) in Jaffna Peninsula is generally different to the such structures in other areas. The Madam in this area are a generally a collection of number of structures with specific features.
- The Ambalama itself – The resting place for the people
- Goods store (Cumaitanki) – a platform of a about 3 feet high. This is used to keep the goods carried on the head or shoulders of the traveler and to load them back without a help of another person.
- Stone Pillar (Avurancikal) – A stone circular pillar errected close to the Ambalama. This is about 3-4 feet high and used for the cattle to relieve themselves from a itch called Thinavu by rubbing their bodies against the pillar.
- Pond (keni) – Keni is a pond filled with water for the cattle to quench their thirst.
- Well (Kinaru) – This is a well for the traveler to bath or wash. Some wells are constructed in such a way that people could walk down to reach the water during dry seasons where the water level is low.
On your way to Point Pedro, there is diversion to the left called Thumpalai road, 150 meters before the town. another 150 meters long the road, it will go through a structure which lies on both sides of the road with a new roof covering both and across the road.
This seems to have been built during the Dutch era as a resting place for pilgrims. Only the two corridors built with coral rock and the massive pillars exists. On one side there is a door which has now been sealed. This probably was the entrance to the inner chambers of the madam which no longer exists.
- Ambalama Heritage of Sri Lanka
- Ancient Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka
- Other Places of Interest Within Close Proximity
Map of Point Pedro Theru Moodi Madam (Ambalama)
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites.
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
Driving Directions to Point Pedro Theru Moodi Madam (Ambalama)
Route from Jaffna Town to Point Pedro Theru Moodi Madam (Ambalama)
|Via : KKS road|
Distance : 20 km
Travel time : 30 mins
Driving directions : see on google map