The ancient Bo Tree at Paralay Murugan Kovil in Chulipuram East in Walikamam West is believed to be the very first sapling of the Sri Maja Bodhi in Anuradhapura. However the Buddhist pilgrims to Jaffna seems to be have totally forgotten about this historic site today.
Chirutivu Island (Siruthivu Island) is a tear shaped island close to the mainland of Jaffna which has been sold to property developer with the intention of building a luxury eco tourism resort. Work has been started about 10 years ago but not completed.
Katchatheevu (Kachchativu) is a small 163-acre (0.66 square kilometers), barren, uninhabited island located in the Palk Strait between India and Sri Lanka. It lies right in the center of Rameswaram in India and Delft Island of Sri Lanka with about 20km on both sides.
The whole island of Delft is built on coral and limestone. The island is a typical remote Sri Lankan village. Simple housed built of coral and limestone, laid-back life and the most popular form of transport is bicycle.
The church at Chankanai was initially built in 1641 by the Portuguese but later rebuilt by the Dutch. Only the massive walls with arches remain today of this building which is now protected as an archeology monument.
Considered the largest if not one the largest Ambalama in Sri Lanka, Sirappar Madam (ambalama) would have been built for pilgrims to Nakuleswaram Kovil in the ancient past.
Nallur Kandaswamy Temple lies about 3 km from the Jaffna town on the KKS (Kankasanthurai) Road. This is one of the most important temples in the Jaffna Peninsula and the most well known.
Half the enjoyment of a pilgrimage to Nagadeepa is actually getting there. The road from Jaffna runs across a long causeway to the island of Kayts from where another causeway leads to Punkudutivu. The landscape is flat and sandy, dotted with numerous palm trees and completely different from everywhere else in Sri Lanka.
Ancient Kadurugoda Viharaya (Kantarodai) is one of the very few Buddhist sites remaining in Jaffna today. The site was discovered in 1917 by the Magistrate P.E. Pieris where he reported that bricks from this site is being carried a way by cart loads by the residents around the area for building of houses.
Dambakola Patuna or Jambukola Patuna is an ancient port in the north of Jaffna which was used during pre christian times. After Arahath Mahinda brought Bhuddhism to Sri Lanka in 250BC, his sister, Theri Sanghamitta arrived in Sri Lanka with a Sacred Bo Sapling one year later to this port.