The stumps on which the image house rests are generally stone pillars, but rarely you would find wooden stumps as well. The Tampita Viharaya at the Sri Sudharamarama temple is built at at a much higher level and consist of wooden pillars in addition to brick and mortar pillars. An old wooden stairway with 7 steps lead to the entrance of this tampita viharaya.
From the base of the Kadigala rock, there are about 400 stone cut steps to the top. At the top is a fairly large ancient stupa half destroyed by treasure hunters. Indications of some other buildings and dagobas at the base and along the way can be identified though they are completely destroyed beyond recognition.
Ihala Kotuwella Ambalama in Pannala is a simple ambalama lying near a large paddy field by a water steam adjoining the Kotuwella road. Its a brick and mortar square building with half walls. The half walls would have been used as benches as there is no seating inside the Ambalama.
The Ambalama at Kumarapeliya is built of stone and cemented with the mix of clay. The history of this Ambalama is not known but this lies underneath a massive Bakmee Tree which is 20-25 feet in Hight. The tree has unusually large knots all over its trunk. It is said such knots develop only after 450-500 years of a Bakmee tree.
Alawala Amuna rock inscription refers to donations of income from farmland of 90 yala’s to the Lankatilaka Vihara by king Parakramabahu V (1344-1359). The inscription covers an area of 12 ft. by 11 ft. 8 in., and consists of thirty-three lines. The letters, which are deeply and clearly engraved, vary in size between 2¾ in. and 5¼ inches.
Legend of Vathimi Bandara and Gale Bandara Devala (වත්හිමි බණ්ඩාර කුමරු හා කුරුණෑගල ගලේ බණ්ඩාර දේවාල)
Gale Bandara Devala is worshipped by Muslims and Sinhalese together. He is a reincarnation of Vathimi Bandara, Half Muslim half Buddhist by birth but raised under the Islamist faith is reborn after his death as a demon but made in to a deity by god Kataragama, there are 2 shrines run by Muslims and Sinhalese.
Umandawa Global Buddhist Village (or Umandawa Maha Vihara Monastery) is a recently developed so called Buddhist religious village operated by the controversial monk named Siri Samanthabhadra Thero.
Panduwasnuwara is an ancient city in the Kurunegala area which functioned as the capital of Sri Lanka for a very brief period. King Parakramabahu set up his temporary capital in this city during the 12th century.
Mahamithawa Sri Sumittaramaya Purana Tampita Viharaya (මහමිතව ශ්රී සුමිත්තාරාමය පුරාණ ටැම්පිට විහාරය)
The Sri Sumittaramaya temple Tampita Viharaya structure is laid on 20 massive granite pillars about 4 feet tall and the wall are pained on a layer of clay. Unfortunately it doesn’t have the original paintings of Kandyan era, murals in the structure seems to have been recently retouched.
Wedisagiri Aranyaya, Sanghappalaya, in Wannikudawewa is an ancient aramic complex lying in the Galgamuwa area. It is believed that Queen Kavisala Pali, the mother of Quveni lived here and was home to an army general called Giribaara at a later date.
Ridi Viharaya lies about 20 kilometers away from the ancient kingdom of Kurunegala in a small village called Ridi Gama. This temple is said to be built by King Dutugemunu in the 2nd century BC.
Kabella Lena Cave Temple lies on the Kurunegala – Putlum road closer to Wariyapola town. if you travel from Kurunegala, you will find the sign board pointing to the turn off about 300 meters before Variyapola Junction.
The ancient capital city of Kurunegala is today a busy town in which most of the ancient heritage had disappeared but most of the temples of the ancient times still remain. Ibbagala Raja Maha Viharaya ( Ibbagala Cave Temple) is such a cave temple which lies in the mid valley area of the Ethagala Rock.
According to Hendry Parker, the Bathalagoda Wewa was built in pre Christian times for the water supply of an ancient city which for many centuries has been merely referred to as ‘Parana Nuwara’ since its original name was never known.
Overhead looms the Yapahuwa rock, 300-foot isolated fortified wonder with a history dating back to the 13th Century. Today it is one of the country’s most unique and important sites of historic interest containing abundant traces of ancient battlements and remnants of king Buvenekabahu’s (1273-1284 AD) kingdom.
Though excavations have not been extensive at Dambadeniya, the visitor can see remains of the palace, the temple of the tooth and six ponds (perhaps bathing pools), and climb the the rock to get excellent views.
Algama Kanda Ancient Cave Temple lies in the District of Kurunegala in the village of Algama. Although this cave temple has not caught the public eye, it has been found that this temple goes back to the time of King Walagamba (89-77 BC) and probably built by him.