This Siva Devalaya (Kovil) one of the many small Siva Kovils which are found scattered around the ancient kingdom of Polonnaruwa. Siva Kovil marked as Siva Devale No. 7 lies just 100 before the northern exit from the inner city on the left of the road. This site lies few meters in to the tree line thus not distinguable from all other ruined walls of buildings which lies all over the inner city of the ancient Polonnaruwa kingdom.
It is believed that this Siva Kovil has been built during the period of South Indian Chola invaders who ruled from Polonnaruwa (1017-1070) or on the 13th century. Only the stone pillars and a simple moonstone carved with lotus petals in excellent condition.
On the eastern edge of the the vast Parakrama Samudraya lies the remains of two summer palaces believed to be built by Parakramabahu I on two small islets which are connected to mainland during dry seasons. One lies very close Deepa Uyana, the other 500 meters inwards adjoining another edge of the reservoir is a larger summer palace.
This Summer Palace is built on a platform built in 3 levels. Generally this structure is submerged upto the 2nd level of the platform. However during prolonged dry periods, the water levels recedes and sometimes connects to the mainland. There are remains of some of the walls and steps of this palace in addition to the base platform even after 850+ years.
Unagalawehera (Unagala Vehera) Viharaya is also a large ancient stupa in the village of Unagalavehera. The Unagalavehera Stupa is the second largest stupa outside of Polonnaruwa. The stupa is 30 metres (98 ft) high.Legend has it that the stupa was built with lime mortar and that the layer of plaster was so thick that at that time it was called ‘Hunugal Vehera’ and later it was known as ‘Unagala Vehera’.
Angammedilla National Park is a lesser known and lesser visited national park situated in Polonnaruwa. Angammedilla was a forest reserve within the Minneriya-Girithale Sanctuary declared on 12 February 1988 and was promoted to a National Park on 6tb June 2006. This was mainly to protect the catchment area of the Parakrama Samudraya or the Sea of Parakrama.
The Somawathi National Park known for large herds of elephants is one of the four national parks set aside under the Mahaweli River development project.
Ruins of an ancient stone bridge are It is located in the southwestern part of Parakrama Samudraya inside the national park of Angammedilla. It is located across a small tributary that flows from the west into the ancient Angamedilla Yoda Ela, which carries water to Parakrama Samudraya.
Polonnaruwa Weherabendigala Ruins inside Angammedilla National Park (අංගම්මැඩිල්ල තුල පිහිටි වෙහෙරබැඳීගල බොදු නටබුන්)
Weherabendigala rocky mountain mentioned here lies in side the inside the Angammedilla National Park on the southwestern side of the Parakrama Samudraya where the Angammedilla canal carry water to the Parakrama Samudraya from the Amban Ganga.
This vast water reservoir was built by King Parakramabahu the great (1153-1186) and today what you see as the Parakrama Samudraya is only a portion of his original creation.Parakrama Samudraya originally consisted of five large reservoirs separated by smaller dams to reduce the pressure on the main dam.
Situated 182 km from Colombo, Minneriya National Park is dominated by the Minneriya tank. This is another park where you will find the Elephants in large numbers.
Dimbulagala Namal Pokuna is an ancient armaic complex lying on a peaceful undisturbed rocky outcrop close to the Popular Dimbulagala Temple. Probably part of the same complex in the ancient times
Gal Potha (Stone Book) is one of the famous works of King Nissanka Malla (1187-1196) which describes himself, his rule and the eligibility for being a king of Sri Lanka.
The Wasgamuwa National Park lies within the Polonnaruwa and Matale Districts and is easily reachable from number of tourist locations.
The main attraction of the site is the Silumina Seya stupa which lies on an elevated square pedestal. The importance of this site in the middle of the jungle is that the largest “Gal Chatraya” also known as “Chatra Gala” or “Gal Kude” (Stone Umbrella) recovered in Sri Lanka.These were used as the pinnacle of earliest stupas built in the country.
Lying inside the inner city with the Palace Complex, passing the Royal Court of King Parakramabahu you can reach this Kumara Pokuna pond made out of stone slabs. This tank has been used during the period of King Parakramabahu ( 1153-1186).