Chirutivu Island (Siruthivu Island) is a tear shaped island close to the mainland of Jaffna which has been sold to property developer with the intention of building a luxury eco tourism resort. Work has been started about 10 years ago but not completed.
Katchatheevu (Kachchativu) is a small 163-acre (0.66 square kilometers), barren, uninhabited island located in the Palk Strait between India and Sri Lanka. It lies right in the center of Rameswaram in India and Delft Island of Sri Lanka with about 20km on both sides.
The Queens Tower at Delft is 55 feet in height. It has five levels, each level a little smaller than the bottom. There is a doorway on the bottom level which goes all the way to the opposite side of the tower.
Very little is documented about the trigonometric station, Kings Tower. However W. H Cole in 1884 records 2 triangulation stations in Delft as observed in 1876. One on the north western end of the island and the other on the south eastern point of the island.
uins of an ancient stable built by the Dutch can be found on the western edge of the island, 380 meters inland from the sea. The stable is about 150 meters long 10 meters wide and One full side wall exists today. The stable has been built on two rows 36 large square pillars.
The hospital built by the Dutch can be found in front of current police station on the island. The tiles of this building have been imported from Bangalore, India and bears the year 1865. Currently this building is been renovated.
This unique Pigeons Nest is found on the adjoining land to Delft Divisional Secretariat among the other ruins. According to historical sources, the Dutch who lived in Delft and other surrounding islands, used to communicate between other islands using homing pigeons.
අලිමංකඩ සිට සැතපුම් තුනක් ඊසාන දෙසින් පිහිටි ඉයකාච්චි ප්රදේශයේ ලන්දේසීන් විසින් කොයිල්වයාල් ගම්මානය අසල ඉදිකරන ලද “පැස් බෙශුටර්” (Pas Beschutter) නම් දෙවන බලකොටුව පිහිටා ඇත. මෙතැන් සිට ඊසාන දෙසින් තුන්වන ලන්දේසි බලකොටුව වූයේ “පැස් පයිල්” (Pas Pyl) ය.
ඩෙල්ෆ් දුපතේප්රධාන ස්තූපය වටා තවත් කුඩා පර4ක නටබුන් 1830 ගණන් වල තිබී ඇත. එවා සියල්ල ඝණ්ටාකාර හැඩයක් ගෙන ඇත. ඔහුට අනුව මෙහි පරිවාර ස්තූප 6ක් මුලදී තිබී ඇත. නැගෙනහිර හා බස්නාහිර දෙසින් සතරැස් වේදිකාවට ඇති පියගැට පෙළ දෙපස ස්තූප දෙක බැගින්ද උතුරු හා දකුණු දිශාවෙන් ස්තූපය බැගින්ද සදා තිබී ඇත.
Considered the largest if not one the largest Ambalama in Sri Lanka, Sirappar Madam (ambalama) would have been built for pilgrims to Nakuleswaram Kovil in the ancient past.
The original Maviddapuram Kanthaswamy Kovil built in 789 AD had four temple towers facing four directions and five outer routes or paths. This was destroyed by the Portugese during 1700-1800, and rebuilt by the British.
Nakuleswaram is situated north of the main town of Jaffna and is close to the Port City of Kankesanturai. It is dedicated to main deity in Saivism Lord Siva and is one of the five ancient Sivan temples in the island.
Nagapooshani Amman Kovil on the island of Nainativu is a very ancient Hindu temple. It is believed that this temple was originally erected many millennia before by the Nagas who were a pre-historic race of people of Sri Lanka.