The Hammenhiel Fort lies on a small rocky island at the entrance to the Jaffna Lagoon. The fort was built by the Portuguese in mid 1618 of quarried coral and was named Fortaleza Real (Fort Royal). After a 3 month siege, the The Dutch captured the for in 1658 and renamed it as Hammenhiel (Heel of the Ham) and was rebuilt by them in 1680. The fort is built around a small island between the island of Kayts and Karaitivu of Jaffna Peninsula.
The April 1940 Journal of the Dutch Burger Union of Ceylon has a detail description of the fort.
“The strange serenity of the little Dutch water-fort, Hammenhiel, invests this memorial with a sense of departed usefulness which is most striking. It stands on a rock at the entrance to Jaffna lagoon, and is surrounded on all sides by the sea. In those forgotten days of tumult, Hammenhiel served on the north, like Mannar Fort in the south, to guard the passage by water to the Castle or Key Fort at Jaffna.
The fort is octagonal in shape and the base of the ramparts is washed by the surf. It would appear that the walls were originally raised and the place was fortified on the orders of the Portuguese Governor of Jaffna, Antonio do Amaralde Menezes, a few years before the arrival of the Dutch. The historian Baldaeus, who accompanied the Dutch army to the assault on Jaffna, gives a brief description of the blockade, and the attack on Hammenhiel by the fleet, before Jaffna capitulated two hundred and eighty-two years ago, The Portuguese only held out for a fortnight and were obliged to surrender for want of water.
When the Dutch occupied this water-fort they found that the sand bank on which it was built had been undermined by the storms of the north-east monsoon. They remedied this bypiling up a breakwater of stones4 . The Portuguese had built the ramparts hollow, and had roofed the m with beams which supported a floor of stone and chunam, with a view to the space being utilized for storing provisions and ammunition.
Since the beams were liable to decay, and the floor had to support the weight of the cannon without fear of its giving way when the guns were moved about and turned round, the Dutch considered this a mistake and they replaced the roof by an entire stone vault.
Finally, profiting by the error of their predecessors, the Dutch took special pains to ensure a satisfactory water supply. On the northern side of the fortress they built a huge reservoir, paved with ” Dutch Bricks” to collect and preserve the rain water. This reservoir had, however, been built so high that it reached above the parapets and was, therefore, exposed to the fire and possibility of ruin by the enemy. The defect was pointed out time and again at subsequent inspections of the fortress, but since it was a new work, it was allowed to remain until such time as alterations could be effected. It nevertheless stands as originally constructed and to this day conserves a supply of clear, fresh water.
A low vaulted gateway, not more t h a n seven feet in height, is the only entrance to this water-fort. The living quarters consist of three or four rooms in the courtyard. The vaults under the ramparts were doubtless used as store rooms. The Dutch invariably maintained a garrison of thirty men under the charge of a Lieutenant or Ensign on this spot, and the early Dutch Governors make very special mention in their memoirs that Hammenhiel must be carefully guarded, ” none but Dutch being stationed there “
Not the least of, the many appealing features of Fort Hammenhiel and its pleasant surroundings, is the popular theory how it got its name. The Dutch, when they pictured the shape of Ceylon, saw in it a resemblance to a smoked ham. Hammenhiel means ” the heel of the ham “, and with a little imagination the picturesque little water-fort might very well be placed at the point where the shank bone projects.
How strangely are place-names derived! In more recent years this seagirthed spot, about half a mile from Karativu and one mile from Kayts, was used as an infectious diseases hospital. Its isolation and breeziness could hardly have been put to better purpose. Thus, on these ramparts, where in the past Dutch sentries scanned the horiaon for’ hostile craft or private vessels which had to be searched before they were permitted to proceed down the fairway, convalescents from plague or small-pox, drawn from that stream of humanity whioh crossed over from India to open Central Ceylon in Tea, bemoaned a fate which had stalled their efforts to brave the perils of their long journey.”
After the defeat of the LTTE, this fort has been converted to an boutique hotel by the Sri Lankan Navy.
- Forts and Fortifications of Sri Lanka
- Ancient Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka
- Other Places of Interest Within Close Proximity
Map of Hammenhiel Fort in Jaffna
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
Traveling Directions to Hammenhiel Fort in Jaffna
Jaffna can be reached through 2 directions. The first one is over the Elephant Pass which is the normal route to Jaffna. The other entrance is from Pooneryn over the newly built Sangupiddi Bridge. This road connects to Mannar.
|Route 01 from Colombo to Jaffna (Through Kurunegala)||Route 02 from Colombo to Jaffna (Through Puttalam)|
|Through : Kurunegala – Dambulla – Anuradhapura – Vavuniya|
Distance : 400 km
Travel Time : 7-8 hours
Driving Directions : see on Google map
|Through : Puttalam – Anuradhapura – Vavuniya|
Distance : 400 km
Travel Time : 7-8 hours
Driving Directions : see on Google maps
|Route from Jaffna to Hammenhiel Fort|
|Distance :24 km|
Travel time : 30-40 mins
Driving directions : see on google map