There is an old stupa on a small knoll in the village of Kevul, just off Keviliya Point, the southern tip of the Trincomalee harbour entrance called Sampur Sudaikuda Dagoba (Sudekuda, Sudaikuda). This Dagaba, facing the Indian Ocean, was discovered through the Seruvila archaeological exploration project and was completely bulldozed by extremists using dozers just within two days.
Masanvewa is another ancient Buddhist monastery hidden in the Trincomalee Kuchchaveli forest which its under threat from Hindu extremists. There are many such ruins in Kuchchaveli forest. Sembumale . Bambaragala, Debaragala are some of these. A Hindu kovil had been already setup among the ruins using the Buddhist ruins themselves.
The two wells at Gomarankadawala Hot Spring is also referred to as Rankihiriya Hot Springs, Ulpatha Hot Springs or Ulpotha Hot Springs. These hot water well lies close to the Rangiri Ulpotha Buddhist Ruins.
Pigeon Island National Park consists of two small islands off the east coast north of Trincomalee and is popular destination for scuba diving and snorkeling.
On the morning of April 9, 1942, a Japanese pilot made a kamikaze dive on to this tank number 91 at the Trincomalee Oil Tank Farm which resulted in fire which lasted for 7 days and melted 1 inch thick metal sheets like pieces of paper
Kanniya Hot Water wells has now become a popular attraction for those who visit Trincomalee now that the LTTE Terrorists which controlled this area has been completely wiped out. There are 7 hot springs now converted to bathing wells. The temperature of each is slightly different from each other. It is also believed the water…
Galkanda Temple is a temple built on a ancient Buddhist Temple Complex in Muttur. The entrance to the temple is through a recently built lion mouth painted in white. The ancient ruins are located at the top of the hill.
The picturesque Kantale Wewa ( tank) is the largest contribution of King Agbo II (608-618) who ruled only for 10 years. Renovation of the Kantale Wewa was carried out by Parakramabahu the Great (1153 – 1186) and has been not short of attention from the colonial times.
The oldest incident connected with the site is etched in an 8th century Sanskrit epigraph found at the site which refers to a shrine named Girikandicaitya being established on the hill-top by a company of merchants headed by Tapassu and Bhallika.
This Kevuliya lighthouse ( Round Island Lighthouse) lies on top of a small rockey island in the bay of Trincomalee. The lighthouse on the island was built on 1863 and this was one of the the tree navigational aid for ships coming in to the Trincomalee Harbour during the British Rule.