Kevuliya / Round Island Lighthouse – කෙවුලිය ප්රදීපාගාරය
This Kevuliya lighthouse ( Round Island Lighthouse) lies on top of a small rocky island in the bay of Trincomalee. The lighthouse on the island was built and put on operations in 1st February 1864. The light is fixed and can be seen for 10 mile (16 km) distance (The Nautical Magazine and Naval Chronicle for 1864, n.d.). The lighthouse three flashes every 15 s, white or red depending on direction which its seen from.
The lighthouse is a white round tower 21 meters (69 feet) high which lies in the summit of the island (Sailing Directions (Enroute) for India anf the Bay of Bengal, 1989).
This was one of the the tree navigational aid for ships coming in to the Trincomalee Harbour during the British Rule. The lighthouse is not operational now. Access is only by boat.
- Rowlett, R., 2006. Lighthouses of Sri Lanka. [online] Ibiblio.org. Available at: <https://www.ibiblio.org/lighthouse/lka.htm> [Accessed 30 May 2022].
- Wlol.arlhs.com. 2006. Kevuliya/Kevuliya/Round Island Light – ARLHS SLI-019. [online] Available at: <http://wlol.arlhs.com/lighthouse/SLI19.html> [Accessed 30 May 2022].
- 1864?. The Nautical Magazine and Naval Chronicle for 1864. London: Simpkin Marshall and Co, J.D Potter, p.217.
- 1989. Sailing Directions (Enroute) for India anf the Bay of Bengal. 4th ed. Defence Mapping Agency Hydrographic/Topographic Center, p.173.
- Lighthouses of Sri Lanka
- Attractions of Sri Lanka
- Heritage of Sri Lanka
- Other Places of Interest Within Close Proximity
Map of Round Island Lighthouse
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
Travel Directions to Round Island Lighthouse
Route from Colombo to Round Island Lighthouse
|Through : Kurunegala, Dambulla|
Distance : 275 km
Travel time : 6 hours
Driving directions : see on google map
Leave a Reply