Ambuluwawa peak situated in the center of Gampola Kingdom established by the great Sinhala King Buvanekabahu IV. (1341-1357 AD) . Modern development of Ambuluwawa has converted it to a multi religious center.
According to folklore, the history of the Medawala temple dates back to the reign of King Wattagamani Abhaya (103 BC), where it is believed this temple was built by him during the stay in Malaya Rata. There are two written sources that shed light on the temple’s history. One is the inscription in the garden of the Medawala Viharaya and the other other is a Medawala Sannasa.
Medamahanuwara mountain is today known as Hunnasgiriya mountain. On the top of this hill are the remains of an ancient fort or palace. According to legend, this fort was built by King Senarath (1604 – 1635) who ruled Kandyan Kingdom.
The Karalliyadda Ambalama is built on a stone foundation about one and a half feet high. A frame built with four large wooden logs are placed on top of 4 smaller stones on the foundation. These logs are also used as seats. The base is not filled inside so there is room for feet.
Pattiyawatta Ambalama, which is made of brick and mortar and the roof has been restored using semi cylindrical clay tile. The ambalama, is made in a rectangular shape and a small hall-like extension has been added to enter from the front. The roof is built as two parts for two sections.
The Uva Wellassa Rebellion, also known as the Rebellion of 1817/18, is considered the first freedom fight in Sri Lanka after the British captured the Kingdom of Kandy in 1815. This fight to free the kingdom of Kandy from the British was headed by Monarawila Keppetipola Dissawa was almost won but for the betrayal of other Kandyan…
The Ambalama at Kamburadeniya is a new structure built in 2021. However this is different from the more recent Ambalama’s which were more utilitarian structures compared to works of art in the past. This is a replica of a traditional Sri Lankan timber Ambalama design popular during the Kandyan Era. It was designed by renowned architects to showcase the ancient architectural designs.
he Ambalama at Guralawela is situated amidst a scenic paddy field. In close proximity, at a distance of 50 meters, there lies an ancient Uraketa well. These wells are characterized by a sturdy outer casing made from the trunk of a sizable tree such as Kumbuk, Milla, or Jackfruit. This casing serves the purpose of preventing sand from entering the well.
The Daskara Galkona Ambalama, which is not so large, is about 10 feet long and wide. Ambalama is built on a small platform. On top of that, using square stone blocks, the walls are built to a height suitable for seating and 4 pillars are made of the same stone. Stone slabs are placed on top of the walls for seats.
Sagama inscription made on the 9th year of king Buwanekabahu V (1372-1408) is the first attestation of what was to become deity Natha’s intimate relationship to Sinhala up-country rule. By this time, Bhuvanekabahu V had succeeded Vikramabahu III at Gampola,
Gonawatta inscription is found at the temple near the Gonawatta Ferry where villagers crossed Mahaweli River is believed to belong to 2nd century BC. The ancient name of the place is Wisaltota, and the Wisal Nuwara has on the Dumbara side of Mahaweli River.
The historic Suduhumpola Rajamaha Viharaya temple has been built under the patronage of king Keerthi Sri Ranasinghe [1747 – 1781] in 1771 to accommodate the Buddhist monks who came outside of Kandy to participate in Upasampada Vinaya Karma and to facilitate worshiping of the sacred tooth relic of Buddha.
Sri Rama Viharaya is a rather unknown historic temple within the Kandy city limits on a hillock above the Trinity Collage tucked away in Udawattakele and is accessed by a foot path in Udawattakele. Another road leading to the temple is found from Sri Dalada Thapovanaya in Udawattakele Mawatha which passes through the road in front of the Kandy Municipal Council linked to a motorable gravel road.
The Pabbatahata Ela now identified as the Minipe Canal is the product of the the great reservoir builder, king Mahasen (276-303 CE). However the Minipe Amuna a (Manimekhala Amuna) has been built later by king Aggabodhi I (575-608 CE)
Walala Tampita Viharaya is built on 25 stone pillars 48cm high. A small circumambulating path has been built around the inner chamber of the viharaya. The front and the two sides of the path is 66cm wide, barely enough for a person to walk. The path at the rear is even smaller, 61cm wide.
The twin falls of Jodu Ella Falls , also known as ‘Bambarella Knuckles falls’, have identical lengths (45m) and cascade simultaneously from both ends of the mountain into the Mahaweli River via the Hulu Ganga River.
Gannoruwa Raja Maha Viharaya is located near Peradeniya on the Colombo Kandy Road about 3 kilometers in to the Gannoruwa Road. Gannoruwa is itself is a historic battle ground which Portuguese had the worst defeat against the Kandyan Kingdom during its occupation.