Wila Oya that commences its journey from the Helabada-Bowitiya mountain range in Moneragala joins the eastern sea at Panama in Ampara District. Wila Oya catchment gets its importance because its development history dates back to Dutugemunu era. Major irrigations schemes that are currently in operation in the Wila Oya catchment are Ethimale Wewa, Kotiyagala Wewa and Panama Wewa reservoirs.
Above the rock water-hole called Padikema has on its sloping, upper western face an artificial arrangement of boulders and stone blocks, now much displaced, forming three sides of a rectangle, the fourth side being formed by the natural row of summit boulders beneath which were constructed, in pre-Christian times, several caves.
Iriyapola ruins are located about 20 km southeast of the village of Maligawila in Monaragala district, in the dense forest on the slightly upstream and left bank of the point where the Gonam ala Ara, a right bank tributary, joins the Kumbukkan Oya.
Malwariyakema Monastic Ruins and Vedda Paintings inside the Yala (යාල තුල සැඟවුණු මල්වාරියකෙම නටබුන් හා ආදිවාසී චිත්ර)
Malwariyakema lies inside Yala Block III, an area which is rarely visited by general public. Here you will find prehistoric megalithic tombs, remains of a ancient buddhist temple as well as vedda paintings on caves
Pilimagala lies inside Yala Block III, an area which is rarely visited by general public. Although the existence of Pilimagala was known for a long time, no proper study of these ruins has been recorded in till 2021
Chandani Ella is a small but beautiful waterfall lying in Bathgoda the Badulla District close to the Beragala town. Although this lies very close to Beragala, this is rather unknown little jewel as there is no proper road or path to waterfall. This is also not visible to the main routes and you need to travel on byroads to get a glimpse of the Chandani Ella Waterfall.
Built during king Devanapiyatissa era (250-210 BC), Buttala Happoruwa Purana Viharaya (Hathporuwa Purana Viharaya) is an ancient temple on the Sella Kataragama – Buttala road.
Nilgala Forest which is lowland tropical dry mixed evergreen forest lies on the boarders of the Senanayake Samuraya covering area which the Gal Oya River falls in to the reservoir.
Maha Kebiliththa Devalaya is small shrine deep inside the block IV of the Yala National Park. The general belief is that that Deity Kataragama spends most of his time at tranquil Kebiliththa in meditation.
The Weheragala Reservoir was built in 2009 by damming the Menik Ganga at Weheragala to store and divert the excess water of Menik Ganga to Lunugamvehera Reservoir to supplement the water collected from Kirindi Oya.
Buddama is rural village lying off Siyambalanduwa and Wadinagala on Ampara Road. The temple at the at the bottom of Buddamahela is set on a beautiful backdrop this temple complex with a history which can be traced back to the pre christian times.
Habaraththawa Ella is a small but a beautiful waterfall lying in the Dewathura area on the Namunukula – Ranugalla Road. Dewathura lies about 10km from Ranugalla and 5 km from Namunukula.
Thimbiriya Rajamaha Viharaya temple is believed to been built by King Devanampiyatissa (250-210 BC). This temple was the nerve center of the 1818 Rebellion against British rule. After suppressing the rebellion, the British ruthlessly destroyed this 2000 year old temple including the Malwessa Stupa which was built by the King Dutugemunu. They then arrested all Buddhist monks in the temple and were executed in Jaffna.
To find the 30m Menik Ganga Dunhinda Ella Falls travel in the Badalkumbura Buttala Road for 5 km and come to the Old Gamsaba or the Old Village Council Road.
Seethakanda (Sitakanda, Seetakanda, Sithakanda) aranya is located in the district of Monaragala and is believed to be dating back to time of Polonnaruwa Era ( 1017-1236 AD).
Maligawila Buddha Statue is carved out of a single limestone rock and stands about 14.5 metres high. This is the tallest free standing buddha image in the ancient Sri Lanka. Dambegoda Bodhisattva statue, Another massive statue in the same complex stands 500 meters away.
Lahugala Magul Maha Viharaya is said to be built by King Kavanthissa in the 2nd Century BC on the location where the King married the pricecess Vihara Maha Devi.