Among the ruins, you will find remains of a building with 17 standing pillars and one fallen. A pillar inscription lies fallen on the ground. A mound covered in jungle weed had been a stupa in ancient times. The Stupa mound is 8 meters in diameter and about 5 meters in height. The pillar inscription is written in Medieval Sinhalese Script and has been dated to 4th-8th centuries.
Kanakarayamkulama (Kanakarayamkulam) is a small town on the Vavuniya – Jaffna road, 33 kilometers from Vavuniya town. Based on the evidence, there has been a large Buddhist Monastery in existence since the 4th century CE. One ancient Image house has been converted to a Kovil by the late 1800’s.
Ullukkulam (ancient Olu Kulama, Ullukkulama) Stone Bridge over a tributary of Kal Aru near Ullukkulam reservoir. With the expansion of the Ullukkulam Wewa reservoir in 1896, a concrete dam was built destroying this stone bridge. However, parts of this bridge can still be seen near this concrete dam. Both the stone bridges seem to have been built before these ancient reservoirs were built
There is no doubt that the Pawathkulama Mahaulukwewa (Periya Ulukkulam) Archaeological Site is a place with a history that stretches back to the early Anuradhapura period. In one place of the rock, there is an ancient stupa, now resembling a rather large mound. It has been dug up and destroyed by treasure hunters. Another similar small mound is found elsewhere and a small structure has been built to light lamps.
The ruins of Awaranthulawa lie on a large rocky plain. The key artefact of the site is the fairly large stupa at a high point of the rock. Now resembling a mound of stone covered by grass this is about 8 feet in height today. In addition, the site is scattered with pillar bases, lamp stones, pillars and large bricks with curved surfaces. The rocky plain has about 7 rock ponds at various places. A large pond lies at one end of the rock.
Pavatkulama Stone Bridge were first disclosed by Lewis in the late 1800s J.P. Lewis. It was 200 or 300 ft. long and was raised upon piers of substantial stone posts. It crossed the stream which flowed from the southern low-level sluice and kalingula. The road which passes over it still goes by the name of the Mawata, “the high road,” although the ends of the bridge are hidden in dense jungle. ‘The people say that this was a main road from Anuradhapura to Jaffna, possibly by way of Upatissa-Nuwara
Disappearing Archaeological Ruins of Nelukkulam in Vavuniya (වැනසෙන වවුනියාව නෙලුක්කුලම ආරාමයේ නටබුන්)
At Nelukkulam (Nelukkulama) site, you find a stupa mound and ruins of 2 buildings. The stupa mound was 30 feet in height and stood on a square platform. This stupa has been desecrated by the installation of a lance on a concrete block on the summit of the Stupa by a Hindu Devotee as reported in the 1980s.
Pavakkulama Reservoir is the largest ancient reservoir found in Vavuniya district. According to a notice board installed by the Irrigation Department, Its embankment is 10,364 feet (3.2 km) long and has a gross capacity of 27,000 acre feet (33 million cubic meters).
The Iratperiyakulama Wewa (reservoir) is the second largest reservoir in the Vavuniya district second only to Maha Pawakkulama Wewa which was created by joining Pawakkulama Wewa and the Ulukkulama Wewa.
Agbopura Megalithic (Sumerian) Ancient Burial Site (අග්බෝපුර මෙගලිතික (සුමේරියන්) ආදි මානව සුසාන භූමිය)
The Megalithic Burial Ground at Agbopura in Vavuniya district was first discovered in 1970s and it was reported at almost 100 burials have been discovered spread over an area of 25 acres.
The Kimbulagala Rock is encircled by Kebithigollewa, Anuradhapura, Vavuniya and Mullaitivu districts on all four sides and the magnificent Eropothana Tank and the Mamaduwa Tank is also visible as shimmering water bodies in the distance. The Eropothana Rock formation
The construction of the Vavuniya Madukanda Viharaya started during the era of Nandimitra, a general of King Dutugemunu (161-131 BC). 58 Rock Inscriptions dating from 2nd century BC to 12th century has been discovered in this area indicating that Madukanda has been flourishing Buddhist Monastery for over 1400 years