Old Clock Tower Lighthouse in Colombo – කොලඹ පැරණි ප්රදීපාගාරය
This Old Clock Tower Lighthouse is not operational any more, but functions as a clock tower and is designated as a monument. It is located at the junction of Chatham Street and Janadhipathi Mawatha (formally Queens road) in Colombo fort.
The location had been used as a lighthouse station since far back as 1829. The tower was first constructed as a clock tower in 1860, the navigational light was moved to the tower by 1865. The original clock (made by the same manufacturer as Big Ben) was replaced in 1913. The lighthouse was deactivated after its light became obscured by nearby buildings and was decommissioned in 1952 with a new lighthouse begin built in Galbokka Point, Colombo .
Map of Old Clock Tower Lighthouse in Colombo
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
Route from Colombo to Old Clock Tower Lighthouse in Colombo
|distance : 1.8 km|
Travel time : 5 minutes
Driving directions : see on google map