Beligala Sri Vijaya Sundararama Rajamaha Viharaya at Kegalle – කෑගල්ල බෙලිගල ශ්‍රී විජය සුන්දරාරාම රජමහා විහාරය

RATE THIS LOCATION :1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (5 votes, average: 2.80 out of 5)
Loading...
The unique moonstone which is protected by an iron fence at BeligalaThe unique moonstone which is protected by an iron fence at Beligala Rajamaha Viharaya Rajamaha Viharaya
The unique moonstone which is protected by an iron fence at Beligala Rajamaha Viharaya
Source : www.facebook.com/myLassanalanka/

Beligala Sri Vijaya Sundararama Rajamaha Viharaya popularly known as Beligala Rajamaha Viharaya is a ancient temple lying between Alawwa and Nelundeniya in the Kegalle District. According to historical records, Beligala Temple is one of the places that the first 32 shoots of the Sri Maha Bodhi (Dethispala Maha Bodhi) was planted which dates this temple to pre christian era.

There are many legends about the connection of the name Beligala to this area. In the ancient book Kadaim Potha, the name is derived because pearls, beads and Sathruwan (seven precious items, wiz gold, silver, pearls, gems, diamonds, diamonds, pearls – gold, silver, pearls, gems, diamonds, cats-eyes and coral) appeared from Beli Fruit trees and caves in this area, because there were four stone pillars with carvings of Beli fruit trees to mark the boundaries here, and because a merchant had previously bought this land and paid by filling a beli fruit shell with precious items, and because there was a Beli Tree in a crevice on the west of Beligala rock and because the garden which supplied Beli Flowers to the palace was in this area.

R.W. Ivers who was the Assistant Agent in Kegalle at that time has published a detailed account of Beligala in the 1884 issue of the Sri Lanka Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society. He discusses the origin of the name and states that the rock seems to have got this name because it looks like a Beli fruit shell. It is clear that this explanation is possible as other rocks in the district such as Alagala, Batalegala and Urakanda has taken the names due their shape. In addition, in a there is a folklore that a Brahmin was carrying a Bo plant stopped to have his meals below a Beli tree finding that the Bo tree being rooted to the Beli tree when he was ready to leave. When he returned to the Beli tree and tried to pick up the Bo plant, he saw that the Bo plant had pierced the container and pulled the roots out of the Beli tree. But today there is no bark or bo tree on this rock.

The first king associated with Beligala was King Gajaba I (112-134). The Rajavali records how he freed 12,000 Sinhalese who had been taken to Soli country (in India) during his father’s reign and returned to Ceylon with 12,000 Tamil prisoners as compensation.

Kurunegala Vistharaya” states how after the return of King Gajaba I to Sri Lanka, a new seven storied palace was built on Beligala rock and the houses and other associated buildings were built for the city of Beligala deserting the city of Dedigama. Thus, by the 2nd century, Beligala appears to have been a complete city with a royal palace.

When Kalinga Maga captured Polonnaruwa Kingdom  in 1215, the Sacred tooth relic was moved to Kotmale. With Polonnaruwa under invaders, King Vijayabahu III (1232-1236)  decided to move the capital to Dambadeniya and the king picked Beligala Rock to build a magnificent Relic House along with all the buildings and monasteries to complete a town.

And further: during these disturbed times all the Grand theras with Vacissara at the head, had carried away from Pulatthinagara the Alms-bowl Relic and the Tooth Relic of the Master, had gone forth, had betaken themselves to Mayarattha and there on the mountain Kotthumala in a safe region had buried both the relics carefully in the earth and so preserved them. Now some of these Grand theras with Vacissara at the head, who sought that protection for Lanka on which depended the continuance of the Order, had crossed the vast ocean, despite its raging waves, had betaken themselves to the lands of the Pandus, Colas and other (peoples). Now Vijayabahu sending forth his great dignitaries, summoned all these theras who were a mine of mercy back from there. When the Grand tberas arrived he greeted them with reverence and asked them: “Where are the two relics, the Tooth and the Alms-bowl preserved”? At their answer, “In such and such a place”, the Monarch’s whole body was filled with a fivefold joy. Led by the crowd of the Grand tberas, the Ruler set forth with his army for the Kotthumala mountain. After he had performed a great sacrificial festival” round about the mountain, he beheld there gazing with bis whole soul, the, two relics of the Tooth and of the Almsbowl. With a heart as full of joy as if he had found a jewel like the wheel and the rest or a great treasure, or as if he had attained Nirvana, the Sovereign took unto himself the two relics and blessed like Mandhatar, he bore them with great celebrations from village to village, from town to town and brought them to the beautiful city of Jambuddoni where the pious people began a great and splendid festival. Now while the wise King day by day celebrated a great sacrificial ceremony for the relics, he thought thus: “In order that if in future time another interregnum occurs, no evil from alien enemies shall befall these relics of the Sage, I will carefully provide for them a still more inaccessible place, fast and sure.” Thus pondering he had the Billasela (mountain) made fast on every side with walls, gate-towers and the like, that save by the gods in the air, it could not be trodden by any human foes. And on the summit of the rock he built a superb temple for the Tooth Relic, ravishing as a divine palace descended from the world of the gods. Around this he laid out a park for the community with divers pasadas and madapaa, delightful for taking an airing when passing the day or when passing the night therein, provided with lakes and bathing-ponds. In this relic temple the wise (monarch) had the two relics, Tooth and Bowl, carefully placed with great solemnity. After making over the park for the community to the faithful theras who were charged with the care of the relics, be decreed a regular offering of alms. Also he commanded that a sacrificial ceremony of surpassing kind should be performed for the relics day by day in, most perfect fashion.

Culavamsa Being the More Recent Part of Mahavamsa : Volume 2 (1929)

There is no inscription or historic record of this temple before the revival of Beligala with the two Dhatu being housed at the Beligala Rock. However Mr H.Wace has recorded the following on his diary entry for 6 February 1885;

On the way he had visited Beligala Vihare, situated in a a fine and cleanly kept square compound, an old temple founded in the time of king Devanampiyatissa (250-210 BC). He again records on 16 December 1885 that at the foot of the Beligala Rock lies Beligala vihare, originally founded it is said in 59 BC and that there are numerous stone pillars (plain) and two fine balustrades.

in 1894, Mr R.W. Ivers provides a detailed report of a field visit to Beligala and states that the Beligala Viharaya is being ascribed to king Kalinga Bahu (?).

No matter the date of its establishment, there is no doubt that the temple had its most glorious days during the few years of which the Temple of Tooth Relic was held and worshipped at Beligala rock. Beligala Temple would definitely have had played a crucial role in running this establishment.

Culavamsa and Pujavali states that heir-apparent Bhuvanekabahu who was the brother of king Pandit Parakramabahu (1236-1270), the son of Vijayabahu III, building a monastery at with various halls in Beligalvehera which was named after himself, Bhuvanekabahu Pirivena.

The King made his yuvaraja erect in the Billasela-vihara the parivena called Bhuvanekabahu after him, embellished with prasadas, mandapas and the like and then celebrated in the town called Sirivaddhana in the manner described, with all votive offerings with care seven days long a great sacrificial festival for the three (sacred) objects.

Culavamsa Being the More Recent Part of Mahavamsa : Volume 2 (1929)

According to the Kegalle Report of HCP Bell, there were five bo trees out of which was a shoot of the Sri Maha Bodhi of Anuradhapura. There is an two storied building with the upper floor made of wood. The wooden storey has originally been supported by 26 stone pillars 11 feet 6 inches in height and 10 inches square. Some of these pillars have been replaced by wooden pillars. There has been a half wall verandah all around the building supported by similar pillars 8 feet high and 10 inches square.

Another important artifact at the site is the Sandakadapahana or the Moonstone. The stone craftsman who had chiselled away this moonstone had escaped from the styles of Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa moonstones. Mr Bell describes it having a distinct individuality recalling the lower medallions in the Amaravati railing. Anuradhapura moonstones are divided into four concentric bands surrounding a lotus. But in lieu of the familiar rows of animals (elephants, lions, bulls, and horses) and hansas (with lotus) sprig in bill) passing across the field from left to right, alternating with bands of conventional leaves, and a foliaged scroll, on the Beligala moonstone, the three inner rows of animals (each line differing from the others) meet in the centre; only the outermost band retains the leaves, eight on either side of a central makara face. The second band has fourteen tigers with heads reversed, except the last two. The next has twelve elephants, with left back leg raised, as if running. The third and innermost row has ten horses saddled and bridled. At either side where it abuts against the door sill the moonstone is finished by a makara with unusually long legs, head thrown back, and extended jaws, stretching across the two outer bands. The lotus, 2 feet 1 inch in diameter, rises from 2 inches to 3 inches above the rest of the surface. The true radius of the stone is 3 feet 1 inch, but it departs from the customary semi-circle in projecting 3 feet 10½ inches from the base which measures 7 feet 6 inches across the makaras. The carving is spirited and life-like, and in fair preservation, considering the wear the stone has received from the feet of generations of worshipers at the temple.

This moonstone is now protected by iron fence and legend says that a treasure is hidden underneath it. In 2013, the head priest of the temple complained to the police that the chairman of the Ruwanwella Pradesheeya Saba Sudath Majula came to him and requested his help to dig the treasure beneath the moonstone.

Unique Moonstone of the Beligala Viharaya as seen by HCP Bell in 1894
Unique Moonstone of the Beligala Viharaya as seen by HCP Bell in 1894
source :H. C. P. BELL, 1904. ARCHEOLOGICAL, STREY OF CEYLON. REPORT ON THE KEGALLA DISTRICT OF THE PROVINCE OF SABARAGAMUWA

Today the temple is scattered with with ruins belonging to pre christian era to Dambadeniya Era. A granite bodhigara around the Dethis bo tree, granite steps, balustrades and moonstones of the by gone era can be seen all around.

separator divider

බෙලිගල ශ්‍රී විජය සුන්දරාරාම රජමහා විහාරය සාමාන්‍ය වහරේ බෙලිගල රාජමහා විහාරය ලෙස ප්‍රචලිතය. එය කෑගල්ල දිස්ත්‍රික්කයේ අලව්ව සහ නෙලුන්දෙනිය අතර පිහිටි පුරාණ විහාරයකි. ඓතිහාසික වාර්තාවලට අනුව, බෙලිගල විහාරය ශ්‍රී මහා බෝධි (දෙතිස්පල මහා බෝධි අංකුරයක් රෝපණය කළ ස්ථානයකි.

මෙම ප්‍රදේශයට බෙලිගල නාමය නම් බැඳීම පිළිබඳව නොයෙක් ජනප්‍රවාද පවතී. කඩයිම් පොත පැරණි ග්‍රන්ථයේ මෙම නාමය ලැබුනේ මුතු, පබළු හා සත්රුවන් (රන්, රිදී, මුතු , මැණික්, දියමන්ති, වෛරෝඩි, ප්‍රවාල – gold, silver, pearls, gems, diamonds, cats-eyes and coral) බෙලි, දිවුල් ගස් වල හා ගල් ගුහා ආදියෙහි පහලවූ හෙයින්ද මෙහි මායිම් සලකුණු කිරීමට බෙලි ගෙඩි කෙටූ ගල් කණු සතරක් වූ නිසාද, කෙළෙඹි පුත්‍රයෙක් පෙර මහරජුන්ට බෙලි ගෙඩියක වස්තුව පුරවා දී මෙම බිම මිලදී ගත් නිසාද, බෙලිගල පායට බස්නාහිර දෙසින් බෙලිගල පර්වතයේ පැල්මක බෙලි රුකක් තිබූ නිසාද රජුට බෙලිමල් සපයන වතු මෙම ප්‍රදේශයේ තිබූ නිසාද බව සඳහන් කරයි.

දෙවිසි වැනිව කියන ලද බෙලිගල රාජ්‍යය නම් බෙලි ගිවුල් ආදියෙහිද ගල් ගුහා ආදියෙහිද මුතු හා පබළු හා සත්රුවන් පහළ වූ හෙයින් බෙලි පල කෙටූ ගල් ටැම් සතරක් සතර කොන කඩවසමට තිබූ හෙයින් පෙර රජෙකුට බෙලි පලයක් පුරාවස්තු දී ප්‍රවේණි සැලැස්මට එක්තරා කෙළෙඹි පුත්‍රයෙක් බිම ගත් හෙයින් ද බෙලිගල් පායට ඉඳුරු දිග ගල් පර්වත ජිද්රාවක බෙලි රුකක්ක පිහිටි හෙයින්ද සෑම මල් වතු පිහිටි හෙයින් ද රජුන්ට බෙලි මල් පසිඳු නා හෙයින් ද බෙලිගල් රාජ්‍යයයි නම් ලද බෙලිගල් පර්වතයට බටහිර දෙණිපතක මල්වත්තක් සැදූ හෙයින් මල්දෙණිය නම් පියසක් ඇත.

කඩයිම් පොත

එවකට කෑගල්ලේ සහකාර ඒජන්තව සිටි ආර්. ඩබ්ලිව්. අයිවර්ස් මහතා බෙලිගල පිළිබඳව දීර්ඝ විස්තරයක් රාජකීය ආසියාතික සංගමයේ ශ්‍රී ලංකා ශාඛාවේ 1884 වර්ෂයේ ප්‍රකාශිත සඟරාවේ පලකොට ඇත. ඔහු මෙහි නාම සම්භවය පිළබඳව මෙසේ පවසයි. පර්වතය බෙලි ගෙඩියක් සේ දිස්වන බැවින් මෙම නාමය ලැබූ බව පෙනී යයි. දිස්ත්‍රික්කයේ අලගල, බතලේගල, ඌරාකන්ද වැනි පර්වත නාමාවලිය විමසීමෙන් එය සිදුවිය හැකි බව පැහැදිය. ඊට අමතරව ජනප්‍රවාදයේ එන කතාවක එක්තරා බ්‍රාහ්මණයෙක් බෝ පැලයක් රැගෙන ගමන් කරද්දී මෙම ප්‍රදේශයේ තිබූ බෙලි ගසක් අසළ විඩා නිවීමට එම බෝ පැලය බෙලි ගසේ අත්තක තබා ආහාර ගැනීමට බැහැරට ගියේය. ඔහු නැවත බෙලි ගස වෙත පැමිණ බෝ පැලය ගැනීමට තැත් කරනා විට බෝ පැලය එය බහාලූ පාත්‍රයද හිල් කොට ගෙන බෙලිගසේ ඔබ්බෙන් පොළොවට මුල් ඇදගෙන ඇතිබව පෙනිණි. නමුත් අද මෙම පර්වතයේ බෙලි හෝ බෝ ගසක් නොමැත.

බෙලිගල හා සම්බන්ධ වන මුල්ම රජ වන්නේ 1වෙනි ගජබා රජතුමාය (112-134). ඔහු තම පියාගේ රාජ්‍ය කාලයේ සොලී දේශයට රැගෙන ගිය දොළොස් දහසක් සිංහල නිදහස් කරවාගෙන ඊට වන්දි වශයෙන් දොළොස් දහසක් දෙමළ සිරකරුවන් රැගෙන ලංකාවට නැවත පැමිණි අයුරු රාජාවලියේ සඳහන් වේ.

කුරුණෑගල විස්තරයේ 1වන ගජබා රජතුමා නැවත ලංකාවට පැමිණි පසු බෙලිගල පර්වතයේ නවමහල් ප්‍රාසාදයක් හා ඒ හා සම්බන්ධ නිවාස හා වෙනත් ගොඩනැගිලි ගොඩනංවා දැඩිගම නුවර පාළුකොට බෙලිගල නුවර ගොඩනැඟූ අයුරු දැක්වේ.

කාලිංගමාඝ 1215 දී පොලොන්නරුව රාජධානිය ආක්‍රමණය කලපසු දන්ත ධාතූන් වහන්සේ කොත්මලයට රහසේ වැඩමකරන ලදී. තුන්වන විජයබාහු රජු (1232-1236) අගනුවර දඹදෙණියට ගෙනයාමට තීරණය කළ අතර රජතුමා බෙලිගල පර්වතය වටා අංග සම්පූර්ණ නගරයක් නිම කිරීම සඳහා සියලු ගොඩනැඟිලි හා ආරාම සමඟ අතිවිශාල ධාතු මන්දිරයක් ඉදි කළේය.

බෙලිගල පුරය තුන්වන විජයබාහු රජු ඉදි කිරීමට පෙර මෙම විහාරස්ථානය පිළිබඳ කිසිදු සෙල්ලිපියක් හෝ ඓතිහාසික වාර්තාවක් නොමැත. කෙසේ වෙතත්, එච්. වේස් මහතා 1885 පෙබරවාරි 6 දින සඳහා ඔහුගේ දිනපොතෙහි පහත සඳහන් දෑ සටහන් කර ඇත;

ඔහු අතරමගදී බෙලිගල විහාරය වෙත ගොස් ඇත. විහාරය ඇත්තේ පිරිසිදු හතරැස් සංකීර්ණයක ය. එය දේවානම්පියතිස්සා රජුගේ කාලයේ (ක්‍රි.පූ. 250-210) ආරම්භ කරන ලද පැරණි විහාරයකි. 1885 දෙසැම්බර් 16 වන දින බෙලිගල පර්වතයේ පාමුල බෙලිගල විහාරේ පිහිටා ඇති බව ඔහු නැවත වරක් වාර්තා කරයි. එය ආරම්භ කරන ලද්දේ ක්‍රි.පූ. 59 දී යැයි ද සරළ ගල් කණු සහ අලංකාර කොරවක්ගල් දෙකක් ඇති බව සටහන් කරයි.

1894 දී ආර්. ඩබ්ලිව්. අයිවර්ස් මහතා බෙලිගල ක්ෂේත්‍ර චාරිකාවක් කොට ඒ පිළිබඳව දීර්ඝ විස්තරයක් 1886 දී ප්‍රකාශිත JOURNAL OF THE CEYLON BRANCH OF THE ROYAL ASIATIC SOCIETY සඟරාවේ පලකොට ඇති අතර ඔහු විසින් මෙම විහාරය කාලිංග බාහු රජු (වැරදීමක්?) ගොඩනැගුවක් බව සඳහන් කරයි.

මෙම විහාරය පිහිටුවන ලද දිනය කුමක් වුවත්, දළදා මාලිගය බෙලිගල පර්වතයේ පවතින වකවානුවේ බෙලිගල විහාරය උච්චතම කාලය තිබූ බවට සැකයක් නැත. බෙලිගල විහාරය දළදා මාලිගය පවත්වාගෙන යාමේ දී තීරණාත්මක කාර්යභාරයක් ඉටු කරනුලැබූ විහාරයක් විය යුතුය .

තුන්වන විජයබාහුගේ පුත් පණ්ඩිත් පරක්‍රමබාහු රජුගේ (1236-1270) සහෝදරයා වූ බුවනෙකබාහු යුවරජ බෙලිගල් වෙහෙරේ හි විවිධ ශාලා සමඟ ආරාමයක් ඉදි කොට එය බුවනෙකබා පිරිවෙන ලෙස නම් තැබූ බව චූලවංශයේ සහ පූජාවලියේ සඳහන් වේ.

එච්.සී.පී. බෙල්ගේකෑගලු වාර්තාවට අනුව, මෙහි බෝධීන් පහක් ඇති අතර, ඉන් අනුරාධපුරයේ ශ්‍රී මහා බෝධියේ අංකුරයකි. මෙහි දැවයෙන් සාදා ඇති ඉහළ මහලක් සහිත දෙමහල් ගොඩනැගිල්ලක් ඇත. ඉහල මහලට රඳවා ඇත්තේ අඩි 11 අඟල් 6 ක් උස සහ අඟල් 10 පැත්තක් පළල සිවුරැස් ශිලාමය කණු 26ක් මතයි. මෙම කුළුණු සමහරක් ලී කුළුණු මගින් ප්රතිස්ථාපනය කර ඇත. ගොඩනැගිල්ලවටා අඩි 8 ක් උස සහ අඟල් 10 ක කුළුණු ආධාරයෙන් අඩක් උස බිත්තියෙන් වටවූ බරාඳයක් ඇත.

භූමියේ ඇති තවත් වැදගත් පුරාවස්තුවක් වන්නේ විශේෂිත සඳකදපහනයි. මෙම සඳකඩ පහණ නිමවූ ගල් වඩුවා එය අනුරාධපුර සහ පොලොන්නරුව සඳකඩපහණ අභාෂයෙන් මිදී වෙනත්ම ආකෘතියකට නිමවා ඇත. බෙල් මහතාට අනුව එය අමරාවතී ගරාදි වල පහතින් වූ විසිතුරු පනේල සිහියට නංවයි. අනුරාධපුර සඳකඩපහණ නෙළුම් මලක් වටා කේන්ද්‍රීය පටි හතරකට බෙදා ඇත. එහෙත් හුරුපුරුදු සතුන් පේළි (අලි, සිංහයන්, ගොනුන් සහ අශ්වයන්) සහ හංසයින් (තුඩින් ගත් නටු සහිත නෙලුම් මල්) වමේ සිට දකුණට ගමන් කරමින්, සාම්ප්‍රදායික පත්‍ර හා ලියවැල් තීරු වලින් වෙන් කරනවා වෙනුවට බෙලිගල සඳකඩපහණෙහි, සතුන්ගේ අභ්‍යන්තර තීරු තුන (එක් එක් පේළිය අනෙක් ඒවාට වඩා වෙනස් වන්නා වූ) මධ්‍යයේ හමුවෙයි. පිටත තීරුවේ පමණක්ම මද්‍යයේ වූ කිඹිසි මුහුණ දෙපස පත්‍ර 8 බැගින් කැටයම් කොට ඇත. දෙවන තීරුවේ ව්‍යාඝ්‍රයන් දහහතර දෙනෙකු සිටින අතර අන්තිම දෙදෙනා හැර අනෙත් ව්‍යාඝ්‍රයන්හි ස් ආපසු හරවාසිටී. ඊළඟට ඇතුන් දොළොස් දෙනෙක් පිටුපස වම් පය ඔසවා, දුවන්නාක් මෙන් සිටින අතර, තෙවන හා අවසන්තී තීරුවේ සෑදල හා කටකලියා යෙදු අශ්වයන් දස දෙනෙකි. එලිපතට හේත්තු වන දෙපස අසාමාන්‍ය ලෙස දිගු කකුල් සහිත හිස පිටුපසට හැරවූ මකරෙකු පිටත පටි තීරු 2 හරහා විහිදේ. නෙළුම් මලෙහි විෂ්කම්භය අඩි 2 අඟල් 1 වේ. එය මතුපිට පෘෂ්ටයේ සිට අඟල් 2 – අඟල් 3 දක්වා ඉහළට මතුවේ. ගලෙහි සැබෑ අරය අඩි 3 අඟල් 1 ක් වන නමුත් එය මකරුන් හරහා අඩි 7 අඟල් 6 ක් වන පාදමේ සිට අඩි 3 අඟල් 10½ නෙරා යමින් සම්ප්‍රදායික අර්ධ කවයෙන් වෙන්වේ. මෙම කැටයම භාවපුර්ව සජීවී සවරූපයක් උසුලයි. විහාරය වැඳපුදා ගැනීමට එන බැතිමතුන් පරම්පරා ගනකගේ ලැබූ දෙපතුලේ පහස සලකන කල මෙය මනාව සංරක්ෂණය වී ඇතයි සැලකිය හැක.

මෙම සඳකඩ පහණ වර්තමානයේ යකඩ වැටකින් ආරක්ෂා කොට ඇති අතර පුරාවෘත්තයනට අනුව මෙම යට නිධානයක් පවතින බව විශ්වාසයෙන් රුවන්වැල්ල ප්‍රදේශයේ සභාපති සුදත් මංජුල මහතා තමා වෙත පැමිණ සඳකඩ පහණ යට ඇති නිධානය හෑරීමට උදව් ඉල්ලා සිටින බව 2013 වසරේ පොලිසියට පැමිණිලි කොට ඇත.

References

  1. H. C. P. BELL, 1904. ARCHEOLOGICAL, STREY OF CEYLON. REPORT ON THE KEGALLA DISTRICT · OF THE PROVINCE OF SABARAGAMUWA. 1st ed. Colombo: GEORGE J. A. SKEEN.
  2. H.C.P බෙල් (සිංහල පරිවර්තනය කොත්මලේ කේ. බී. ඒ. එඩ්මන්ඩ් ), 2005. ලංකා පුරාවිද්‍යා ගවේෂණය කෑගල්ල දිස්ත්‍රික්කය පිලිබඳ වාර්තාව (Report On The Kegalle District – 1892 : සිංහල පරිවර්තනය). 1st ed. කොළඹ: පුරාවිද්‍යා දෙපාර්තුමේන්තුව.
  3. GEIGER, W., 1929. Culavamsa Being the More Recent Part of Mahavamsa : Volume 2. London: Pali text Society.
  4. R. W. Ievers, 1886. BELIGALA. JOURNAL OF THE CEYLON BRANCH OF THE ROYAL ASIATIC SOCIETY, VIII, pp.346-368.

Also See

Map of Kegalle Beligala Rajamaha Viharaya

ගූගල් සිතියම් පහලින් - Please click on the button below to load the Dynamic Google Map -
.

The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites

Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.


Travel Directions to Kegalle Beligala Rajamaha Viharaya

Route from Nelundeniya to Kegalle Beligala Rajamaha Viharaya

Through : Nelundeniya Road
Distance :5.8 km
Travel time :  10 minutes
Driving directions : see on google map

© www.amazinglanka.com