Dunuwila Walawwa in Kandy – මහනුවර මහ නගරසභා ගොඩනැගිල්ල වූ දුනුවිල වලව්ව
It is said that there were 18 Walawwa’s within the city of Kandy during the period of last king, Sri Wickrama Rajasinhe ((1798-1815).
- Dunuwila Walawwa (දුනුවිල වලව්ව) – Currently used as the Kandy Town hall. Gone through major modifications
- Ehelapola Walawwa (ඇහැලේපොල වලව්ව) – Currently part of Bogambara Prison Complex
- Ellepola Walawwa (ඇල්ලේපොල වලව්ව) –
- Moladanda Walawwa (මොලදණ්ඩ වලව්ව) – destroyed
- Nugawela Walawwa (නුගවෙල වලව්ව) – destroyed
- Mullegama Walawwa (මුල්ලේගම වලව්ව) – destroyed
- Kapuwatta Walawwa (කපුවත්තෙ වලව්ව) –
- Wegodapola Walawwa (වෑගොඩපොල වලව්ව) –
- Meegasthanne Walawwa (මීගස්තැන්න වලව්ව)-
- Mampitiya Walawwa (මාම්පිටිය වලව්ව) – Basic structure of the Walawwa still survives. Today this building is known as Royal Bar and Hotel on Raja Veediya
- Arawwawala Walawwa (ඇරැව්වාවල වලව්ව) –
- Arapola Walawwa (ඇරෑපොල වලව්ව) – destroyed
- Molligoda Walawwa (මොල්ලිගොඩ වලව්ව) – destroyed
- Dullewa Walawwa (දුල්ලෑව වලව්ව) – Changed by the British and then covered to Queens Hotel today
- Ratwatte Walawwa (රත්වත්තේ වලව්ව) – Chandra Silk House today
- Pilimathalawa Walawwa (පිළිමතලාව වලව්ව) – Currently the President’s House is located here. Another part is used as the Governor’s quarters.
- Dehigama Walawwa (දෙහිගම වලව්ව) – Destroyed. Now Central Finance Building
- Eramuduliyadde Walawwa (එරමුදුලියද්දේ වලව්ව)
- Giragama Walawwa (ගිරාගම වලව්ව) – not generally listed as part of the 18 walawwas.
The known history of the Dunuwila family goes back to the time of king Rajasinghe II (1635 – 1687). Dunuwila Nilame from this lineage was was a courtier of the Kingdom of Kandy during the period of the last king of Kandy, Sri Wickrama Rajasinhe (1798 – 1815).
During the time of kings elephants played a major role in the palace. The king generally had a designated elephant as the Royal Elephant who’s only task was to carry the king. There were others who were used in war and in heavy work. Thus the Royal Elephant Stables were looked after by a specially designated noble family with the honorary title of Gajanayake. Dunuwila Adhikaram was Nilame incharge of the stables thus was also called the Duniwila Gajanayake Nilame.
Dunuwila Nilame’s residence called Dunuwila Walawwa was also located close to the Elephant stables to monitor the elephants in the royal stables. But after invasion of Kandy by the British in 1915, the Elephant stables was destroyed and the land which was owned by the Asgiri Maha Viharaya was taken by the British Government and given to the Muslims to build a mosque. Today this is known as the Meera Macaam Jummah Mosque which lies next to Gedige Maha Viharaya.
The Walawwa was taken over by the British in 1815 and in 1848 it has been taken over by the police. Then on October 31,1861 government has paid 3000 pounds and used it for government offices. Then again the British government has purchased the land outright for 3000 pounds and used as as the Kandy Municipal Council.
The building which stands today shows a mixture of Kandyan, Dutch and British architectural styles. Burmese Teak has been used as timber but probably not in original form.
- නගර පාලනයට ගිය ‘දුනුවිල වලව්ව’
- Kingdom of Kandy
- Ancient Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka
- Other Places of Interest Within 25 kilometers
Map of Dunuwila Walawwa in Kandy
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
|Distance from Kandy Dalada Maligawa to Dunuwila Walawwa in Kandy|
|Distance : 900 m|
Travel time : 10 minutes
Driving directions : see on google map