Sri Narendrasinghe Rajamaha Viharaya – කුන්ඩසාලේ ශ්‍රී නරේන්ද්‍රසිංහ රජමහා විහාරය

RATE THIS LOCATION :1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (4 votes, average: 4.00 out of 5)
Loading...
Entrance to the ancient image house of Sri Narendrasinghe Rajamaha Viharaya

Entrance to the ancient image house of Sri Narendrasinghe Rajamaha Viharaya

Kundasale lies on the Kandy-Teldeniya road about six miles away from Kandy, at the Warapitiya junction. Its about 1 km from the Warapitiya junction which is about 2 km. from Teldeniya.

Sri Narendrasinghe Rajamaha Viharaya was built by king Kirthi Sri Rajasinhe (1747 – 1781). All that remains of this historic temple are the image house (Pilimage) and the Viharaya. The living area of this temple premises is adorned with an ornamental arch.

The Avasa (residency of the Buddhist monks) had been modeled on the pristine architectural pattern of a Kandyan master. Its verandah being constructed with glazed doors and windows had a meda midula (central courtyard). Behind the main rooms are a few stone pillars reminiscent of the original structure of the building. A wooden stair-case leads to its upstairs. Here lies a classic collection of memorabilia coming down from King Kirthi Sri Rajasinhe.

A copper plate grant to the  Viharaya by Kirti Sri Rajasinghe dated 1754 is with the trustee of the temple. According to this, it is said that the above king having visited the royal garden at Kundasale decided to construct a pratimagrha or image house 11 cubits long and 5 cubits wide and in front of it a mandapa and offered an image of the Buddha carved out of red sandalwood painted with gold, a relic casket of white sandalwood and other utensils needed for the daily services. The Viharaya was completed in the year 1754 and dedicated to Rambukwelle Anunayake and to his papillary succession and the King further offered land for the maintenance   of the Viharaya and its officiating monks.

The temple still has a the gold-plated Buddha statue made out of sandalwood. Numerous priceless temple artifacts gifted by kings Kirti Sri Rajasinha and Narendrasinhe are preserved in the museum upstairs. They include Handungala (a grinding stone) Pallekkiya (a mini-palanquin) and a wooden ornamental bed having intricate carvings. The most valuable piece of antiquity is a jacket worn by king Narendrasinhe.

Other antiques include textiles, flags, curtains, swords and daggers donated by the king to the temple.

Also See

Map of the Kundasale Sri Narendrasinghe Rajamaha Viharaya

.

The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites.

Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.


Driving Directions to Kundasale Sri Narendrasinghe Rajamaha Viharaya

Route from Colombo to Kundasale Sri Narendrasinghe Rajamaha Viharaya

Route from Kandy to Kundasale Sri Narendrasinghe Rajamaha Viharaya

Though : Kandy Road – Pilimatalawa
Distance : 108 km
Travel time : 3.5 hours
Driving directions : see on google map
Though : Peradeniya
Distance : 11 km
Travel time : 30 minutes
Driving directions : see on google map

© www.amazinglanka.com

Posted in Heritage, Kandy Tagged with: