Thannimuruppukulama (Tannimuruppukulam) reservoir is one of the largest reservoirs in Mullaitivu district. At the Puliyankulama junction on the Vavuniya-Jaffna road, turn right and pass Nadunkeni for six kilometers and you will come across a gravel road through the forest towards Thannimuruppukulam. After passing through this forest for 9 km, the Thannimuruppukulam reservoir is found. The popular Kurundashoka Viharaya archaeological site is also located about one kilometer away from this reservoir. Although this archaeological site in the middle of the forest was being destroyed, this ancient Buddhist temple is now being built as a Buddhist heritage site with the courage of Buddhist monks.
The Manual of the Vanni District by J Penry Lewis published in 1895, reports a five-hooded stone cobra carving near this reservoir and a nearby Buddhist temple. This reservoir has been known as Kurundankulama. It is believed this reservoir to be the Kurundu Vapi built by King Agbo I (575-608).
An inscription that mentions during the reign of King Mihindu III (801-804), the king came to this place with his queen and daughter to resolve a conflict regarding the water of this reservoir. As mentioned in the inscription, the inscription was placed here, issuing an order about a city called Kurungama and requests not to correct any typographical errors in this inscription. Mr. Lewis mentions that this inscription was broken into 4 pieces when he found it. Unfortunately, this inscription is not found at this place today.
The current sluice gate of the reservoir can be seen on the northern side of the embankment. Nearby you can see a large group of stone slabs that can be assumed to have been arranged in a certain way. They have tongues and grooves for fitting the slabs together. Therefore, it can be concluded that the old sluice of the Kurundankulama Reservoir was also located at this place. By observing the features of the cuts on the stone slabs, it can be concluded that these belong to the Anuradhapura period.
Apart from this, there are ruins of another ancient embankment towards the east of this reservoir. A five headed cobra stone can be seen nearby. This has been repaired with cement and restored in recent times
- අසංග, එම්. වී. පී. කේ. සහ නිශාන්ත, අයි. පී. ඇස්., 2018. පෞරාණික ස්ථාන හා ස්මාරක – මුලතිව් දිස්ත්රික්කය – පුරාවිද්යා දෙපාර්තමේන්තුව. 1වන සංස්කරණය. කොළඹ: රජයේ මුද්රණ දෙපාර්තුමේන්තුව, පි140-1142
- Archaeologysl.maps.arcgis.com. 2020. Web GIS Portal – Web GIS Unit. [online] Available at: <https://archaeologysl.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html> [Accessed 30 September 2020].
- Hydro Heritage of Sri Lanka
- Ancient Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka
- Other Places of Interest Within Close Proximity
Map of Mulativu Tannimuruppukulama Wewa Archaeological Ruins
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
Traveling Directions to Tannimuruppukulama Wewa Archaeological Ruins
|From Puliyankulama to Tannimuruppukulama Wewa Archaeological Ruins|
|Through : Nedunkeni|
Total Distance : 34 kilometers
Time to Drive : 45 mins
Time to Spend : 30-60 mins
Driving Directions : See Google Map Here