Weligama Agrabodhi Rajamaha Viharaya – වැලිගම අග්‍රබෝධි රජමහා විහාරය

RATE THIS LOCATION :1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (3 votes, average: 4.00 out of 5)
Loading...

The Agrabodhi Rajamaha Viharaya at Weligama is an ancient temple which  dates back to times of King Devanampiyatissa (250-210 BC). According the Bodhivamsa,  the chronicle of the Holy Bodhi Tree,  the very first of the Bodhi saplings out of the first thirty two saplings from the sacred Sri Maha Bodhi was planted at this temple grounds during the time of King Devanampiyatissa.

Chronicle further mentions that Patarajakulavardhana Devadhikari, the Commander-in-Chief of Queen Kalyanavati in the Polonnaruva period has built a Pirivena in this vihara. There is evidence to say that an image house was built by King Parakramabahu IV (1302-1326 A.D.) and King Bhuvanekabahu IV (1341-1351 A.D.) and his Commander-in-Chief, named Senalankadhikari have made offerings to this vihara.

According to folklore, when the few of the very first Bodhi Saplings were being carried to southern region, the group rested one night on this ground and in the morning when the group tried to resume their journey, they found out that the very first Bodhi of the samplings has taken root at the site. Therefore it has been decided to leave the  Bodhi tree on the same site. Thus since the first and the main sampling of Sri Maha Bodhi was planted here, it has been called Agrabodhi Viharaya.

Another folklore states that the temple was built by King Aggrabodhi IV (667-683) thus the the temple was named after him.

This temple is also mentioned in Sandesha poems like Thisara Sandeshaya, Kokila Sandeshaya and Parevi Sandeshaya.

Weligama Agrabodhi Rajamaha Viharaya’s antiquity is also demonstrated by the finding of a ‘Ashtamangala Shilawa’ or the “Ata Magala” stone (Eight fold prosperity stone)  which was used as the foundation stone of temples belonging to the Anuradhapura Era. This is about 6 inches on sides and 1 inch thick. This stone is considered the most complete Ata Magala (Ashtamangala / Astamangala) ever to be found where the eight carvings can be clearly identified.

The Buddha Image house and the paintings inside belongs to the Kandyan Era.

The Kushtaraja Gala rock carving close by too has been part of this temple at one time but now separated and is managed by the Department of Archaeology.

This temple was destroyed by the Portuguese during the time when the coastal area was under their control but rebuilt again with the sponsorship of King Rajadhi Rajasinhe ( 1781 – 1798) of the Kandyan Kingdom.

Also See

Map of Weligama Agrabodhi Rajamaha Viharaya


Please click on the button below to load the Dynamic Google Map
.

The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites.

Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.


Driving Directions to Weligama Agrabodhi Rajamaha Viharaya

Route from Galle to Weligama Agrabodhi Rajamaha Viharaya

Route from Matara to Weligama Agrabodhi Rajamaha Viharaya

Through : Matara Road
Distance : 26.5 km
Travel time : 40 minutes
Driving directions : see on google map
Through : Mirissa
Distance : 18.5 km
Travel time : 30 minutes
Driving directions : see on google map

Comments