Dutch fort at Mullaitivu – මුලතිවු බලකොටුව
The fort at Mullaitivu was built by the Dutch in 1715 was originally a small wooden structure, in 1721 a quadrangular fort of earth-work has been erected. The English had rebuilt it during the British occupation of the island.
On 25 August 1803, the fort was overrun by Vanni Bandara (Pandara Vanniyan), the last chieftain of Vanni, with the support from kingdom of Kandy. Lt. von Driberg of occupying British forces and his garrison was was driven away and the canons of the fort captured.
The exact location of the fort has been lost in time but remains of an massively thick ancient brick structure in the premises of the newly built Mullaitivu District Secretariat building is thought to be part of a building in this lost fort.
- Forts and Fortifications of Sri Lanka
- Ancient Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka
- Other Places of Interest Within Close Proximity
Map of Mullaitivu Fort
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
Driving Directions to Mullaitivu Fort
Route from Colombo to Mullaitivu
|Through : Puttam – anuradhapura|
Distance :350 km
Travel time : 7 hours
Driving directions : see on google map