Upper Elgin Fall – ඉහල එල්ජින් ඇල්ල
|Height :||5 meters|
|District :||Nuwara Eliya|
Located on the Elgin Estate at an altitude of 1500m, Elgin Estate Waterfall Cluster is 18km from the city of Nuwara Eliya. A multiplex of falls falling in serrated steps, it is located in the fringes of Reservoir located in woodlot of Elgin Estate. The stream springs from the mountaintop flowing to Agra Oya before nurturing Mahaweli River via Kotmale Oya Reservoir. On the top of the cluster is the 5 meter high Upper Elgin Fall .
Traveling by train from Talawakelle to Badulla the 24m high Elgin Front Falls could be observed in the side where the station is located. However the fall itself is not pellucid from the rail track. Arrive at Elgin Estate in Talawakelle Town. A winding 5km trek in difficult terrain brings you to the fall. Another route is via. Talawakelle Lindula coming to Elgin Estate. From here peregrinate for 2km along the road and reach the fall.
This waterfall cluster consists of 5 identified waterfalls. They are
- Waterfalls of Sri Lanka
- Other Places of Interest Within Close Proximity
Map of Upper Elgin Fall
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
Travel Directions to Upper Elgin Fall
There is no motorable road to access Elgin waterfall cluster. You could view the falls number of ways
- Take a train between Nanu Oya and Ambewela. The fall can be seen 4.5 kms after Ambewela Station towards the Nanuoya Station.
- Travel to Ambewela and hike on the railway for 4.5 kms
- Travel to Perakumpura Sub Railway Station which lies between Nanuoya and Ambewela Stations and walk along the railway track approximately 6 km towards Ambewela
- Drive from Lindula (turn off from Lindula Maha Vidyalaya) towards Elgin Estate on estate roads for about 15 kms and hike last 2 kilometers
Leave a Reply