Ellegala Amuna is a site of an ancient anicut built across the upper floodplain of the Kirindi Oya. The main purpose of the canal, especially during floods, was to divert excess water from the reservoir at Ellegala to Tissa Wewa situated close to the urban hub of Tissamaharama.
A new dam has been built across this site during the British rule under the patronage of then Governor of Ceylon Sir William Henry Gregory in 1876. Currently the only remaining part of the ancient dam at the site is an earthen dam extending about 125 metres east from the river bank.
- Somadeva, R., 2006. URBAN ORIGINS IN SOUTHERN SRI LANKA. Doctoral Thesis in Archaeology. Uppsala University.
- Hydro Heritage of Sri Lanka
- Ancient Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka
- Other Places of Interest Within Close Proximity
Map of Ancient Ellegala Amuna
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
Traveling Directions of Ancient Ellegala Amuna
|From Tissamaharama to Ancient Ellegala Amuna|
|Distance : 11 km|
Travel time : 20 mins
Time to spent : ½ hour
Driving Directions : See Google Maps here