Palkumbura Raja Maha Viharaya – පල්කුඹුර රජ මහා විහාරය
Palkumbura Raja Maha Viharaya is an ancient Buddhist temple lying in the Madawala area in Kandy. The history of this temple goes as far as Buwanekabahu IV (1341-1351) of the Gampola Kingdom where his son, prince Jayaweera Astana was educated by Ven. Pallekumbure Athnidassi Thero who resided here.
It is said that the king presented the temple with a village with sixty five paddy fields for its maintenance. Portuguese invation of the Kandyan Kingdom, saw all the valuable documents and the Buddhist texts of this temple burned to ashes. Later in year 1797 the king has presented a new copper plate giving the ownership of the village to the temple.
This copper plate and a copper fan with a handle made out of a elephant tusk is still preserved in this temple. Palkumbura Raja Maha Viharaya is also popular for its intrinsic wood carvings on the Digge style building.
Map of the Palkumbura Raja Maha Viharaya
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites.
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
Driving Directions to Palkumbura Raja Maha Viharaya
Route from Kandy to Palkumbura Raja Maha Viharaya
|Though : Katugastota|
Distance : 13 km
Travel time : 30 mins
Driving directions : see on google map