Rajagalathenna Divulana Wewa Archaeological Ruins – රජගලතැන්න දිවුලාන වැව පුරාවිද්‍යා භූමිය

RATE THIS LOCATION :1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars (2 votes, average: 3.00 out of 5)
Loading...
Rajagalathenna Divulana Wewa

Rajagalathenna Divulana Wewa

Divulana Wewa  is an ancient reservoir situated deep in the wilderness bordering Rajagala Mountain in Rajagalathenna in the Ampara District. This reservoir is believed to be built by king Saddhatissa (137-119 BC) of Anuradhapura kingdom who was the regional ruler of the Digamadulla Kingdom during the reign of king Dutugemunu.

Divulana Wewa reservoir is unique in many ways. It is a cluster of 3 reservoirs connected each other creating a single large water body. It is formed by building a 1/2 km dam across the Rajagala Kanda and the Divulana Kanda and fed by Divulana Oya and Nawagiri Oya. Above this reservoir lies “Balagala Wewa” (Balagala Reservoir) and below lies the “Nawagiriyawa Wewa” (Nawagiriyawa Reservoir).  The Divulana Wewa and Balagala Wewa has been destroyed in 1700’s from cyclone and renovated by the British during the 1872 – 1879 period.

Nawagiriyawa Wewa was built along with the Galoya Project in the mid  20th century to expand the holding capacity of the reservoirs. When this reservoir was filled, the dam of the ancient Divulana Wewa was submerged and only surfaces during the dry seasons.

Another unique feature on the Divulana Wewa is that this is the only reservoir in the country where Mada Sorowwa  and the Biso Kotuwa both made out of granite  lies next to each other. In all other reservoirs these two components always lies away from each other. The Pitawana of the tank is made of granite blocks and has a square wave from.

It has been reported by the elders in the area, when the dam of the Nawagiriyawa Wewa was breached in December 1957, the water was drained from all 3 reservoirs and a statue of king Saddhatissa appeared facing Rajagala with both hand together in form of worshiping. Another statue of a horse build on a rock at the bottom has been facing the king.  They have been again submerged never to be seen again.

The ancient Biso Kotuwa, the dam (bund) and the anicut of the ancient Divulana Wewa has been  declared as a protected archaeological site by the Government with the Gazette issued on 10th October 2014, and describes the location as follows ;

“Ancient Bisokotuwa, sluice, ancient bund of the lake and anicut in the middle of Divulana lake belonging to
Rajagalatenna village situated in Grama Niladhari Division No. W/104/4025, Rajagalatenna South in the Divisional Secretary’s Division Uhana In Ampara District in Eastern Province. (latitude 07º 28′ 05” N and longitude 081º 35′ 47”E).”

On the opposite side of the dam lies ruins of a ancient palace including rock pillars, guard stones and other artifacts. This site too has been declared as a protected archaeological site by the same Gazette, and describes the location as follows ;

“Rock plain with buildings, flight of steps, chronicles and chisel holing at the cachment area of Divulana lake  belonging to Rajagalatenna Village situated in Grama Niladhari Division No. W/104/4025, Rajagalatenna South in the Divisional Secretary’s Division Uhana in Ampara District in Eastern Province. (latitude 07º 27′ 56” N and longitude 081º 35′ 35”E).”

Access to the Divulana Wewa is passing  Nawagiriyawa Wewa. From the bund of Nawagiriyawa Wewa you need to walk  over 3 km through a protected jungle  infested with wild animals. Permission may be required to walk through this path.

Also See

Map of Rajagalathenna Divulana Wewa Archaeological Ruins

.

The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites.

Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.


Travel Directions to Rajagalathenna Divulana Wewa Archaeological Ruins

Route from Ampara to Rajagalathenna Divulana Wewa Archaeological Ruins (upto Nawagiriyawa Wewa)

Through : Uhana
Distance :27  km
Travel time : 45 mins  + hike
Time to spent : 45 -60 mins
Driving directions : see on google map

© www.amazinglanka.com
Comments
Posted in Heritage