Ambulugala is better known for the ancient Ambulugala Sri Danthapaya Rajamaha Viharaya with the 2 storied Tampita Viharaya. Ambulugala was a sub kingdom during the early Kotte kingdom era. Prince Parakramabahu VI spent his childhood hidden in a village called Polwatte in Ambulugala cared by a farmer and a tool smith. When he claimed the throne in 1411, he appointed his brother prince Prathapasinhe as the regional ruler of Ambulugala.
The origin of the Sri Danthapaya Rajamaha Viharaya at Ambulugala can be traced back to king Parakramabahu VI (1411-1463) who is considered the last king to bring the country under one rule. According to a plate given to a person called Himi Bandara by the Buvanekabahu VI (Sapumal Kumaraya), the temple has been constructed as a royal religious ground at the village where Parakramabahu spent his childhood in hiding.
In ancient times, people traveled from place to place on foot or by cart. Pilgrimages or trade journeys were measured in days, not in hours as they are now. Therefore, resting places (way side rests) or ambalams were built at various places along these popular routes. These ambalams were used to cook small meals for travelers to spend the night safely. They are built around commonly used roads. Generally a place was chosen where there are facilities for a traveller, i.e. near a well or a stream, to build a Ambalama.
At the same time, this Ambalama was also important as a gathering place for the people of that village. Often Ambalams were built under royal patronage or patronage of local nobles. Therefore, the size of these ambalams and artworks changed according to the wealth of the people who sponsored them.
The Amblama lying close to the Viharaya could be old as the temple as possibly used by the pilgrims of the temple. The Ambalama lies in a picturesque area next to a lush paddy field. Seven pillars hold roof of the structure. Out of which five are stone pillars and other two concrete. In 2019, this ambalama was completely disassembled and the repaired. Parts of stone pillars which had damages has been removed and completed in concrete. The half height walls and the inner ledges used for seating too has been re-built.
The entrance to the Ambalama is opposite to the current road running next to it and is open to the paddy field. The innder ledge which was used to sit and sleep is now concrete. The ambalama is square in size and the roof is covered in clay calicut (Rata Ulu) tiles.
- List of Ambalama’s in Sri Lanka
- Ancient Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka
- Other Places of Interest Within Close Proximity
Map of AmbulugalaAmbalama
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
Travelling Directions to Ambulugala Ambalama
|From Kegalle to Ambulugala Ambalama
Total distance: 13km
Duration : 20 minutes
Time to be spent: About 15 minutes
Driving Directions : View on Google Maps