Eragama Reservoir also known as Irakkamam Reservoir in tamil, is one of the largest tanks in the east built by the ancient kings of Sri Lanka found on the route to the Deegavapi Chethiya. This reservoir which had been abandoned had been restored around 1850’s by the British.
The ancient sluice and the bund of the tank been declared as a protected archaeological site by the Government with the Gazette issued on 10th October 2014, and describes the location as follows;
“The old sluice and the bund of Eragama Lake (Irakkamam Lake) belonging to Rahumanth Nagar, Kuduvil, Manikkamadu, Ameer Alipuram villages and Grama Niladhari Divisions No. 5-2-34005 Irakkamam 07, No. 5-2-34-035 Irakkamam 01, No. 5-2-34-055 Irakkamam 04 and No. 5-2-34-025 Irakkamam 025 in Eragama (Irakkamam) Divisional Secretariat, in Ampara District in Eastern Province.”
Map of Eragama Reservoir Archaeological Ruins
The map above also shows other places of interest within a approximately 20 km radius of the current site. Click on any of the markers and the info box to take you to information of these sites.
Zoom out the map to see more surrounding locations using the mouse scroll wheel or map controls.
Travel Directions to Eragama Reservoir Archaeological Ruins
Route from Ampara to Eragama Reservoir Archaeological Ruins
|Through : Eragama|
Distance : 11 km
Travel time : 20 mins
Time to spend : 15-30 mins
Driving directions : see on google map